Not Another White Sandy Beach


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Hahei
November 6th 2005
Published: November 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Forgive me while I write this, I've had a few glasses of wine. Since Mark and I have lost all sense of time, date and routine, we have had to adopt new ones, like starting the day with a three hour walk in the morning along a white sandy beach and ending the day with a bottle of New Zealand wine. But before this becomes another "wish you were here, life doesn't get much better than this" emails, I'm going to tell you the truth...New Zealand sucks. I mean, how many times can you round a corner and be surprised by another beautiful cove, another picturesque beach, another 2000 year-old tree?

We found a beach that sits atop a hot spring, so if you dig deep at low tide, you can dig yourself a nice spa in the sand. I burnt my bum, but the older German couple soaking next to us, go a kick out of my red *ss.

Vick and Shirley (his vocal sheep) gave us directions to an old whaling station that borders his land. We nearly died getting there, but after an hour and half hiking through the dense, humid rainforest, we were spit out on top of a grassy meadow overlooking a quiet, desolate cove.

Finally, we found ourselves at Hahei (Hi- hay), a town at the end of the road. Once again, white sand and opaque water with giant sandstone walls that have been smoothly shaved by water. THe cliffs insulate the cove from the rest of the world, giving you a sense that you are the only people left on earth. But this time, there was a rope swing. IT hung from an old tree that grew over the cliff. Other tourists looked on enviously as we jumped off the cliff hanging in mid-air. We thought of nothing else.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



7th November 2005

green
with envy... as you two explore picturesque beaches and sample the local wines, we're removing layers of rotted drywall, building a fence, and tearing out molded kitchen cabinets. life isn't fair. truthfully though...you guys deserve this, and i hope you're savoring every moment. we miss you.
8th November 2005

ugly
Yeah, poor you guys. Way to live in the moment! We just got back from Hawaii but I must say you have us beat on the incredible hikes and private beaches you're experiencing. Living vicariously through you guys is pretty damn great! Have so much fun and enjoy!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb