Day 165 -173


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel Peninsula
November 30th 2015
Published: November 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our Final days at Port Jackson have been filled with swimming and fishing. The fishing has been pretty slow but enough for us to eat for another week😊. The days have been humid, the sea has been flat and the sun shining. So nice to be able to swim in fairly warm water, however you do get the odd patch of cold water. Makes getting in the cold shower after a swim a little easier.

Tuesday afternoon the Old Round the World Yacht ‘Steinlager’ anchored up in the harbour. A large group of youths swam a considerable distance to shore from the yacht today. It looked like they had activities to complete on the beach before returning to the yacht and setting sail again.

One afternoon Lance and I walked around the rocks at the Eastern end of the beach, following the gut up the hill and out to the far Eastern Point. Awesome views up and down the coast and across to Port Jackson Bay. From here you also get a closer look at where the tides meet in the Colville Channel. This is not an advertised walk and there have been some slips so care is needed around some of the cliff edges.



171 – 173

Fantail Bay DOC camp is our next stop for a few days. This is a small camp that sits in a gully surrounded by Steep Hills and across the road from the Rocky Fantail Bay. This is a popular place for Kayak fisherman. Its ok for launching dinghy’s but not our boat sadly.

There is a walk that runs from the camp up a very steep track to the top of the ridgeline. This has great views down the coast towards Colville. I actually rate this track is Fugly! My Achilles screamed the whole way up and it was too steep to run down. The other thing that bugged me was you finally get to the top and there is no view just a fence and a sign that says the track ends here. Can’t quite decide if this was someone’s weird sense of humour or DOC just decided to throw a dart and say finish this track here! My suggestion would be to walk halfway up and enjoy the views then promptly walk back to camp, open a beer and read a book😊.

We spent an afternoon on our bikes whilst here. It is so beautiful biking along this coast road. It is gravel and narrow but at this time of the year you don’t meet too many people. There are a couple of old Granite Wharfs, some rustic farm sheds and plenty of opportunities to take photos. After our workout in the heat we managed a quick dip in the Bay on return to camp ..…….the water was freezing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb