Mateku and Te Puia


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty
December 16th 2012
Published: December 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday spent the day exploring Maketu, it's on the coast approx 45minutes by car from Rotorua. Its about the size of a small village, there is what looks like a small creek behind the beach on one of the beaches on the other side is a gorgeous long beach. I walked down there and when I got to the beach there were about thirty people ointo and the beach just went on and on, lovely. Walked along the beach quite a way the weather was nice so I decided to dip ,y toes in the water, it wasn't as cold as at home but not as warm as Fiji. The weather was beautiful very warm but with a breeze.

Today's visited Tu Puia to discover the many layers of Maori history. Te Heketanga a Rangi is a Maori sculpture depicting the heavenly origins. Twelve monumental contemporary carvings reach skyward. Each one representing a celestial guardian. Following this you can attend the traditional Maori concert in the Rotowhio Marae meeting house. The performance includes action songs, women's poi dance,traditional stick games and famous war dancer the haka. This was very entertaining and well produced. it was good to see that this imprtant part of their heritage is being kept alive. Also on site is a weaving and wood carving centre where the traditional skills alive being learnt by descendants of the original founders of the town. Added to this I got to see the bubbling pools of mud and the Pohutu geyser. Well worth a visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb