New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi at last I've managed to gain access to the internet. I have thoroughly enjoyed the first 6 days of my travels. Reece in 6N will be pleased to know that his worries about my plane crashing were incorrect and I enjoyed a long but comfortable flight.
On Tuesday i went firstly to the Kauri museum to learn all about the native NZ tree which was almost wiped out last century. We also saw some ancient Kauri trees growing in the wild. Then we travelled further north to the beautiful Bay of Islands. the location of the signing of the treaty of Waitangi, an impressive Maori meeting house and a huge war canoe. On Wednesday we travelled to the northern tip of the north Island to where the Maoris believe the spirits of the deceased leave on their last journey. There is also a lighthouse nearby. Then we drove along 90 mile beach. which was very cold and windswept. On the way back to the hotel we stopped off at the Kauri kingdom where we saw beautiful furniture made from the Kauri tree.
Thursday was a real highlight with a leisurely cruise around the Bay of Islands. It was a lovely sunny day just right for a boat trip. We sailed through the Hole in the rock ( an arch) and then landed on a deserted island for our lunch. After we landed our coach took us on our 2 hour journey to Auckland.
the following day in Auckland we had an action packed schedule. firstly we went to the Skytower (the highest building in the southern hemisphere where we had an amazing view in all directions of the city of Auckland which is built on extinct volcanoes. Our coach then took us on a tour of the city including the beautiful winter gardens. We had a sunny day for our sail around Auckland Harbour. Which was both interesting and exhilarating.
In the afternoon we drove to the Comorandel Penninsular. Saturday the 1st of November was spent with Kiwi Dundee who showed us the wildlife of NZ. and the remains of a gold mine. Later we went to a beach where hot springs break through the sand. It was amazing to see crowds of people bathing in hot water pools they had created on the beach. It was also great to warm my feet in the water heated by natural means.
Today we drove to Rotarura. Firstly we went to the Agrodome for a fascinating show about thedifferent breeds of sheep in NZ. Also how the sheep are shorn and rounded up.
Then we went on the Skyline Skyride to descend very quickly on a Luge. I surprised myself by actually enjoying it and going back for a second go. To be honest I was more nervous on the ski lift then the Luge. We then went next door to Rainbow Springs Park to look at thenative wildlife especially the fish and the birds. I saw a live Kiwi Bird which is almost extinct. Fascinating. On the way to the hotel we stopped off at one of the thermal springs which smelt of rotten eggs.
Tonight the hotel held a special Maori Night. So we were given traditional Maori food (cooked in the thermal springs delicious!) and were treated to a display of Maori song and dance including the Haka. Great Fun!
So now I'm up to date. Please excuse any spelling mistakes. I'm typing this very late as its the only time available.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb