Our Last Days in New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty » Whakatane
March 17th 2007
Published: March 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We crossed back onto the North Island on March 2. We spent almost a week at Logan and Chloe’s not really doing anything! One day we went to Lindale, which is a farm that has NZ animals and does shows of shearing sheep ect. We took Logan and Chloe’s 1 ½ old daughter through the farm tour to check out all the animals, she thought that was pretty exciting and the adults enjoyed it too!

On the 9th we went ocean fishing with Shawn and Jarrod (these are guys Dave worked with on harvest) off Wanganui. Between the 4 of us we caught 9 Blue Cod, 3 Snapper, 2 Barracuda, and 1 small shark. Not bad for a days work! Later that night we went to Jarrod’s place for a party, where both Dave and I drank a few and didn’t get back to Shawn’s parents until 5am. It was a pretty slow start the next day, and that was even after we slept until noon. After having the fresh fish from the day before for lunch, we went and had another nap! We left for Taupo around 4:30pm and found ourselves a place to stay and then went for 1 beer with Andy and his friend Bruce. Because Dave and I were both still feeling a little rough from the night before it actually was only 1 beer!!!

The next day (11th) we went Trout fishing with Andy and Bruce on Lake Taupo. Even though I was the only girl on the boat I was the only one to catch any fish that were keepers. I caught 3 keepers, the biggest being 4lbs and had 1 throw back and 1 that got away (thanks to Andy’s not so quick hands with the net!!). Dave was the only one on the boat who didn’t even get a bite, so you know he got a hard time about that. That night we had smoked trout for supper!

We left the next day and headed back to Edgecumbe for our last week in New Zealand. We’ve spent pretty much the whole week getting ourselves organized for flying to Ireland. We did make a trip up to Auckland to pick up Arjan, who had just flown in from Canada (another harvest friend). We did go out for supper with Dave’s parents, John and Carol, his sister Kate, and her fiancé Lance. We got shouted a really nice bottle of champagne from a family friend of the Stothers (Michael Mexted) to go with our fantastic meals, so it was a pretty good night.

No trip to New Zealand would be complete without feeling at least 1 earthquake and today I felt a 3.1 earthquake! The windows shook a bit, but other then that not much happened.

We fly out of Auckland airport tomorrow (18th) at 10pm, so John and Carol are taking us up in the afternoon. We land in London on the 19th at 10am and then catch another plane to take us to Belfast, Ireland. Once there Lyndsay and Jeff (friends of Kendra’s) will be meeting us at the airport and we will pick up our rental car and do some touring of Northern Ireland. After that we’re not to sure what we’re doing, we hope to catch up with more people Dave worked with on harvest and make some plans after that.

Just to let everyone know we no longer have a cell phone we passed it onto Arjan so if anyone rings it and gets a stranger you know what’s going on! The best way to get a hold of us is to send an email or leave a comment on the Travelblog.

No pictures again because they're already on their way to Canada in the mail!!

Next entry from the Northern Hemisphere!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 20; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb