Woofing in Te Puke


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty » Tauranga
March 29th 2006
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

First day on the farmFirst day on the farmFirst day on the farm

We went in to do a bit of shopping in the afternoon, ended up at Bayfair mall to get several things done at once. It poured outside, and this double rainbow greeted us on the way home.
We travelled from Ohope near Opotiki in the Bay of Plenty, to Te Puke which is a half hour from my cousin's daughter and her family in Tauranga. The wwoof hosts were a bit older than us, and had been living on their plot of land for about 17 years. They have a large flower garden outside their house which is perched on a flat area surrounded by hills sloping down away from them. They have about a hundred sheep and 32 head of cattle (calves), chooks and ducks.

We discovered that there were not that many organic practices that were used on this farm. The plant material that I cut and pulled from the flower garden was put in a bin, driven away by tractor and burned in a distant paddock! The kitchen compost pile was given to the chooks every day. Not that there is anything wrong with that! But it would have been good material to add to a compost pile. But there was no compost pile. The owner did mention that the neighbours complain when he burns the garbage. But, as he said, he didn't care.

Similarly, the household garbage was burned, and tin cans were buried instead of being recycled. The sheep were dipped for treatment of flystrike, and when I was looking for an environmentally safe way to rid the Hostas of snails and slugs, the owner handed me some slug bait. Some sort of chemical with warnings about keeping pets away on the side prevented me from using it - that and the long chemical name of the product. We minded the farm over the weekend while they were away for a couple of days, and I managed to find some bone and blood meal to use as a fertilizer for transplanting some plants. But that was the ONLY organic practice or equipment I found. It didn't really feel like we were contributing to Saving the Planet with healthy farm routines. After a while we didn't feel that we had very much in the way of common interests with the couple. They were nice enough, but we didn't feel that connection with folks who share our values, especially with regard to ecology. So weren't we lucky to have had good experiences before that?

Erin flew in from Wellington to Hamilton, the only location to which we could find airline tickets. We
Where we spent several eveningsWhere we spent several eveningsWhere we spent several evenings

It was a nice way to warm up on a cold evening.
picked her up and she stayed one night with us at the farm, the next night in Te Puke with the June, mother of Steve Peddle (married to my cousin's daughter Natasha) and the last night with Steve and Natasha. Pat and Steve had planned to spend Sunday fishing, but it was raining and the chartered trip was cancelled. After wandering around Mt Manganui looking in shops and galleries, Erin, Pat and I went to see that movie with Judy Dench in it - about starting a nude show in wartime London. What a disappointment -don't bother going!

Pat and I finished wwoofing a bit earler than planned, on the Tuesday, as it was still raining and we weren't enjoying it as much as the week before. We took Erin to see Rotorua. With only a week to Pat's departure, we wanted to pack in more fun with our first-born.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Didn't use the patio muchDidn't use the patio much
Didn't use the patio much

as we had quick meals indoors. And it rained alot.
Front entranceFront entrance
Front entrance

The gardens were extensive.
Looking out over the paddocksLooking out over the paddocks
Looking out over the paddocks

towards the Bay of Plenty.
Where Pat spend some timeWhere Pat spend some time
Where Pat spend some time

with our host, dealing with flystrike.
One task on the weekendOne task on the weekend
One task on the weekend

was to edge the driveway! Never done at our house back home.And not quite the usual farming activity. Howver,woofing CAN involve many things,...
I got this garden ready I got this garden ready
I got this garden ready

to plant winter vegetables.
Lots of agapanthus in this gardenLots of agapanthus in this garden
Lots of agapanthus in this garden

which the host asked me to move. They are VERY difficult to dig out, and I ended up leaving it after slipping in the wet leaves.
Cannot remember the dog's nameCannot remember the dog's name
Cannot remember the dog's name

but she followed us everywhere and loved to have her tummy scratched.
In fact, I never got a clear picture In fact, I never got a clear picture
In fact, I never got a clear picture

of her sitting still or upright. A Corgi.
These were in bloom everywhereThese were in bloom everywhere
These were in bloom everywhere

and put on such a delightful show
They are not pampas grassThey are not pampas grass
They are not pampas grass

but a New Zealand plant, I think called tui tui. Pampas grass is fluffier and has different texture to the heads.


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0913s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb