Tauranga - Mount Maunganui


Advertisement
Published: October 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mount Maunganui


We drove down from Whitianga to Mount Maunganui pretty much on a whim. Turns out this is a major vacation spot for Aucklanders and this was the first long weekend of summer known as Labour Day. We had to get another backpackers membership which ended up paying for itself quickly but still, that's three now.

Along the way we checked out Waihi, a giant open pit gold mine in the town itself, you can just go walk along the top. We checked out a lookout that afforded a view of the whole Bay of Plenty and went and checked out the beach at Mount Maunganui. The beach here is big on scale we haven't dealt with before and there is a lot of beautiful scenery and huge beach houses along the strip. Reminded us of California movies.

We hiked to the top of the Mount (232 m) the second day and had an amazing view of the whole bay, the City of Tauranga and the mountains south of them. We spent a few days hanging out on the beach and reading here. This has been the place we've spent the most time since we got here and probably have done the least, but the beach is pretty awesome.

We had some great food at Turkish To Go and found some late birthday cake for Carla, then we got some ice cream at the Chateau. We decided we needed to move on or move in so we hit the road after five great days in the sun. We headed south towards the volcanoes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Nick and the OceanNick and the Ocean
Nick and the Ocean

Okay we're on top of a mountain.
Carla on Top of Her MountainCarla on Top of Her Mountain
Carla on Top of Her Mountain

Look at that smile, it was totally her idea to climb this thing.
Way Down ThereWay Down There
Way Down There

That's the trail head off the beach where we started hiking the mountain.
Mount MaunganuiMount Maunganui
Mount Maunganui

We climbed that. Its an old volcano does that count too?


30th October 2009

Awesome
Wow, it looks beautiful! Yes it looks a little bigger than Lake Henri or Morin Lake You guys look wonderful!
30th October 2009

You guys rock!
Seriously guys, this all sounds pretty awesome!! Jealous and super happy for you both! But you will have to explain to me one day what exactly a backpackers membership is,cuz Im drawing a blank!! Again great pics- love them! Keep it up guys- I cant wait to see and read more!
31st October 2009

Wow!! Just Amazing!
Hi Nick and Carla. Your pictures are just amazing!! Makes me wish I was travelling somewhere too. Anywhere, but good old Yorkton. LOL! The weather here has not been the greatest. I hope yours is better. Can't believe I actually figured out how to get on here. But now, that I have I plan on checking it out often. When I first got on, I was looking at everything backwards. The most recent to the last, but u know me. So, I just looked again from the strart to the present. :) Amazing people, food and landscape. What more could a person ask for? Me, I would most definately find the time change hard, at least to begin with. LOL. Love you. Take Care!
1st November 2009

The backpackers (hostels) here (theres a ton of them) are with different associations. If you're a member you get a discount ($1 - $3/night usually). The memberships cost about $40. So far I have $125 worth of them in my wallet. Carla is lying everywhere we go about the one so we saved money that way.
5th November 2009

Wow that scenery is unreal!!!! And i can just imagine your beat up old car...sounds like too much fun!!
22nd November 2009

Good for you!!!
Way to go for making up Mt Maunganui!! We loved it in Tauranga too... and had a fabulous time reading on the beach! We definitely weren't as ambitious as you two and didn't make the climb but your pictures from up top the mountain look amazing!! We'll have to make a point of doing the climb next time we're there :)

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb