Monday - Leaving the ipod behind


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
September 29th 2008
Published: October 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our next Top Ten was in the city of Whangarei (fain-ga-ray) and we were a good hour into the trip when Benjamin tells us he thinks he left his Ipod in Keri Keri. No I haven't made him extinct but he was close. Back we went and very luckily he found it. One good thing that came out of it is that on our way back south we ended up stopping to see the Waipu caves. We had sort of missed the sign the first time round. These are limestone caves that are thousands and thousands of years old and have lots of glow worms too. It was impressive. Apparently Bill Gates had visited last Christmas too!
Many hours later we arrive in Whangarei. This was our first holiday campground that was not a Top Ten. No one had told us but apparently, it was spring break for schools and accommodation was suddenly harder to come by. Our cabin at this park was just as good and for the first time there is a hair dryer in the shower area. I'm happy. Before leaving this city we check out the Bird recovery centre and we do actually get to see a kiwi bird. We also visit the Whangarei Falls which are not as big as Niagara ,as Benjamin points out, but they are beautiful. The bridge to cross the top of the falls is about a foot above the water so it is a little disconcerting to walk across the water that falls a few feet to your right. It is also a sad site as at the bottom there is a very simple memorial to a Maori boy. Apparently this is a place where they jump for initiation rites. Obviously one didn't make it. Hopefully, this memorial is not that old, that it is not a continued practice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb