What's our next stop again?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
April 30th 2024
Published: May 1st 2024
Edit Blog Post

Outside of work my time in Rotorua was filled with card game and movie nights with my coworkers, visits to the hotpools at the polynesian spa and the night market on thursdays. I ended my stay there with a white water rafting tour, where we went down the highest commercially rafted waterfall in the world. Only one of the three boats in our group manager to go down the 7m fall without ending outside down and it wasn't mine. So I did as instruckted and curled up into a ball until the Rapid brought me back up to the surface. One of our guides lost a shoe and I hit my arm somewhere leaving it bruised, but the General Konsens in our boat was that this was way better that if we had just stayed upright. Last friday I then left Rotorua. I met up with a girl named Tessa from London and we are now travelling together in a camper. We started by going to the redwood treewalk in Rotorua and then drove into the night up to Thames. From there we went up the Coromandel Peninsula on saturday and spent the night in Matarangi. The next day we drove a look so we could go down Road 309 a small travel road with beautifull views cutting through the middle of the Peninsula connecting the east and West coast. For lunch we stopped in Coromandel after skipping this stop the day before knowing we'd be back. We then drove down to Cathedral Cove, but unfortunatly part of the track was close off because of a landslide and we couldn't make it to it. Afterwards we hit up hot water beach and went for a swim in the ocean and digged a pool in the hot sand for a nice bath. In the evening we arrived at the campsites a bit late so the freecamp we wanted to stay at was already full. We had to drive another half hour to the next one. Monday morning we got up in time for sunrise, but it had rained all night and the clouds made it impossible to see the sun. As we were packing up it started raining quite heavely, but luckily it stopped after one hour and it got nice and sunny afterwards and we could do the window walk as planed. The Rest of the day was a bit more quiet as we arrived at the campsite early in the afternoon. We managed to find a free hot shower which is quiet rare. Tuesday morning we watched the surprise and then had an early start into the day, as we made the short drive over to Tauranga. After walking around there for a bit we headed over to Mt Maunganui. The steep 40min climb was rewarded with an amazing view over Tauranga, that we enjoyed while eating lunch. A community center then offered us a hot shower a secound day in a row, what a luxus. Yesterday was then our most drive intense day yet. We drove seven hours in total to make our way around the most eastern corner of New Zealand. There were a lot less stops than expected, but the landscape was beautiful and cows on the street gave us a good laugh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb