Beautiful bay of islands


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
March 3rd 2011
Published: March 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello lovely people at home and around the world!
So far we've had 12 fantastic days here in Northland. We've stayed in a lot of wild and very beautiful places. Therefore there are only a few blogs, as internet access (or electricity) is not available where there is solitute and pure natural beauty.

We've slowly driven up the east coast of northland and have seen some absolutely stunning beaches and walked in very tropical dense green bushland.

The colours here are so intense (even short sighted me can see that!) it is amazing.
As are the stars at night! When we arrived there was a full moon and it was so bright that we couldn't see many stars but now it is absolutely amazing. The milkyway in all its glory! The longer we look up the more stars we see. Great!
(And that is not just down to the beautiful local white wines at night... but they are fab too!)

Our days are filled with walking on beaches and in the bush land, sleeping and swimming. Oh yes and eating! Kiwi fruits here taste so much better than at home, and we have become avocado addicts.

Yesterday we booked a day's sailing on a catamaran, which was wonderful. The day started with a bit of rain but soon cleared up and and we really enjoyed criss-crossing in between the islands. We didn't see any dolphins, which is was disappointing but we nevertheless had a great day. It was on these islands that Captain Cook first set foot on NewZealand and was actually friendly with the locals. So there is lots of history here but the natural beauty outweighs all of that.

Today Terry has gone for a diving trip and so I'm in the local library sending you this blog, before we head further north. We generally like to stay in Department of conservation Campsites, which have so far all been very lovely. They are basic (cold showers!) but often in a stunning setting.

We've been blessed with the weather. It is lovely and warm and most days sunny with only very little rain.

We feel refreshed and very happy to be here.

With lots of love Claudi &Terry


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



3rd March 2011

Hello Claudi and Terry, happy to hear that you are well and enjoying your trip. Take care. lots of love from Beate & Angelo
3rd March 2011

Hi Guys, looks absolutely beautiful - I'm very envious but glad you're having such a fantastic rest. How was the catamaran sail? Looking forward to catching up when you get back x
4th March 2011

we are very jealous!
Dear Claudi & Terry, it all looks and sound so beautiful! Enjoy your trip - how long are you travelling all together? We're jealous and hope to be travelling that directions next year - keep fingers crossed. Lot's of love - glad that you are well, Tine & Rolf

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb