The Bay of Islands


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
June 18th 2007
Published: June 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After my last update we headed 4 hours north until we reached the Bay of Islands at Paihia, and checked into the Pipi Patch Base hostel as we got a free night by staying at other Base hostels. We decided to save the Islands cruise for the next day as we'd be checking out by 10am and not catching the bus back to Auckland until 4pm. So Monday afternoon consisted of some one on one basketball action, dominated by Dan in fairness. After becoming exhausted we went for a walk into town to have a butchers at the beach, and that evening had a few beers in the hostel bar before bed.

After being woken up by the guys on our bus and in our dorm wanting to know if we would like to partake in the 'weet-bix challenge' (eating a weet-bix block in one with no milk), followed by a teabag eating contest (all of it) we got some well earned kip.

The cruise started at midday the next day, aboard a small catamaran. There was the option to do a more expensive jet boat type excursion, but after my last experience of a jet boat (rubbish, soaking and freezing) we decided to stay dry for this one. The 3 hour trip took us around some of the islands, some of the privately owned ones with helipads and underwater tunnels and golf karts to pick up the mail. I was amazed at how clear and emerald the water was, almost like a coral reef sea. The main attraction of the cruise was 'the Hole in the Rock' which is an island with a hole through its centre that you can fit a boat through. Although it was a gorgeous day, the water was really choppy so we didn't try it, and just took some snaps instead. We then headed back via a few more islands and caught the Kiwi Experience bus next to the wharf and headed back to Auckland where I am at the moment writing this. It's just gone 12:30am and we are catching a flight at 5:50am. We didn't bother checking in anywhere to save a few dollars and so far tonight have been for a curry (absolute mission to find but the best curry I've had travelling by far), played the last leg of the Kiwi pool tournament, which after a thrilling last few matches Will came away as champion. I have 10 minutes to finish writing this before the global gossip card runs out, and then it's TV room followed by taxi to the airport. I still can't believe that the Kiwis are charging me a tax to leave the country! Didn't give me any money when I came in!

So my next update will be in Malaysia probably unless I'm feeling really lazy, or they have no internet.

New Zealand has been fantastic. The highlights have been the skydiving, the Nevis bungy, Franz Josef Glacier and the Black Water Rafting the other day all of which are a must do when you come to New Zealand. Having said all this, I cannot wait to arrive somewhere where I can live in shorts, t-shirt and my flip flops again.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb