Waipapa


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Kerikeri
March 14th 2009
Published: March 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello again,

Sean and I are now on a dairy farm in Waipapa, just north of Keri Keri in the Bay of Islands. We arrived here yesterday morning around 10 am and will be here until tomorrow. The farm is run my a gentleman, Clive, that we met down on Stewart Island. He has 600 acres here, with 400 cows and a massive fruit orchard with every citrus fruit you can think of.

Clive took Sean and I around on ATVs yesterday to show us the land. He has a magnificent view of the Bay of Islands and the "Hole in the Rock" attraction from a hill on his property. This is also a neat farm because it is the only one I know that is in the center of town. His house is on the mainstreet in town, but his backyard is just HUGE! Ha.

We had the opportunity to round up the cows for milking (on ATVs) and got to see that whole process. A messy one it can be! One of Clive's dogs just had puppies, so we had quite a bit of fun playing with those little buggers, too. Sean picked out his favorite
Wild TurkeysWild TurkeysWild Turkeys

They're everywhere on the property!
which he wants to bring back to the States. Too bad they're $700!

In the late afternoon Clive asked Sean if he'd like to go hunting. They went out for an hour or so and Sean returned with a goat and a large turkey. Pretty good for a first time hunter! Sean cleaned the meat and Clive made a curry with the turkey last night. We'll have the goat (well, I don't know that I will, but they will) for dinner tonight. We've got pictures to put up when we can! Sean came back and all I could say was, "Uncle Bobby would be proud of you." Ha.

Tomorrow Clive and his son and friends are going up to a fishing competition north of here. They'll be fishing for marlins (that I guess get up to 500 lbs and more!). It is suppose to be pretty impressive, so Sean and I plan to head up that way to be part of the experience. The weather isn't very favorable tomorrow though, predicted to be too windy. Keep your fingers crossed that'll clear up!

From the fishing competition we'll be heading further north to Cape Reigna for a couple of nights. Our last nights on trail in NZ (sad face).

Speaking of last nights, Sean and I have started to change focus and look back to the States. We've been apt hunting (with Mari's help - thank you!) and applying for jobs online. We think we have an apt set up, but will need to find a way to get the financial part worked out while were abroad. As far as jobs, who really knows. Our hope is to have everything in place when we return, but we'll see how it goes.

As always, will keep you posted on any new exciting experiences.

All the best,
Emily


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The ATVThe ATV
The ATV

We used ATVs and dirt bikes to round up the cows! Modern day cowboys!
Sean's PuppySean's Puppy
Sean's Puppy

Sean picked the puppy that he wanted to bring home!
Sean's PuppySean's Puppy
Sean's Puppy

He's still attached!
Sean's GoatSean's Goat
Sean's Goat

Sean's first kill.
Sean's TurkeySean's Turkey
Sean's Turkey

Sean's second kill... in an hour!
The Bay of IslandsThe Bay of Islands
The Bay of Islands

Seen from a hill on Clive's property.


14th March 2009

You are abosolutely right...my dad will definitely be proud! ;-) I can't wait to tell him.

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb