Day 30 Chilling in Waiheke


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
November 26th 2013
Published: November 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So woke up to the sun streaming through our window and the sound of waves lapping the beach. Pure perfection. Dragged ourselves from the room and headed out for breAkfast. Overlook is only about a 5 minute way to the main town so easy for all facilities

We had decided to have a 'tramp' in the morning and hang around on the beach in the afternoon. Slight problem, no map! Anyway from all the leaflets in our room Ian found a map relating to wine tours which also seemed to show some walking trails that went around the coves so off we tramped.

Unfortunately map wasn't too accurate. So our 'looks about 3km' turned into a 2hour hike to get to about 1/2 way to where we thought we were going. This was mainly down to retracing every time we picked the wrong road as well as the NZ trend matching the Aussie one of ignoring any gradient. Still scenery was breathtaking (as well as the inclines) and at the point where I was about to have a toddler tantrum my fairy godmother turned up. Actually it was our friend who had just picked up her daughter from 'kindy' and spookily had decided to turn at the bottom of the road instead of her normal turn. So following a quick lift back to the room, with a promise to see them later for dinner as planned, it was time to hit the beach. Although it had gone a bit cloudy so it took us about an hour to drag ourself from the lovely verandah.

The beach was amazingly quiet, it did fill up with a few mums and small children about 4.00 but still only swelled numbers to about 1person per200 yards. Ian was doing his normal. "I'd like to go in but not sure I can be bothered". Anyway I challenged his manliness as all these little ones went charging in without a thought, so he finally succumbed. As you can see even I managed a paddle.

Directly behind the beach are houses. Some are old and battered. Those that are newly acquired appear to have been rebuilt and normally feature a boat. A feature of Waiheke are boats called a Sealeg. These are boats that have wheels attached so no need to bother with a launching trailer, you just drive into the sea and pull up your wheels! Cool! L

Time was moving on so just time for a quick drink and then Back to change for dinner, we were intending to head out to Cable Bay vineyard that evening but it was closed for a function. So we decided on Thai (don't think there is a place in Waiheke without a view!

Lots more catching up with our friends and then back for our final night of sleeping to the sound of the sea.

They have also recommended the next pace we are to stay. This did take some persuasion of Ian as it was the most expensive stop on our travels so i am very excited.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb