Rain, rap and chardonnay


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 22nd 2012
Published: February 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

A quick blog about yesterday, as we're about to head off into town to do some maritime research (Dad sailed out here in the early 60s so we're off to see what we can find at the Auckland maritime museum).

Yesterday morning started with so much laughter that pretty much carried on all day. This was in no small part down to the link I was sent to a webpage containing music performed by an ex-member of our skittles team. Imagine a Bontempi organ, and the preset backing tunes you can play, accompanied by broad cider-swilling west country vocals to songs about bubble wrap. You think I'm making it up? Try it for yourself: www.broadjam.com/beso . The Bubble Wrap Rap is my particular favourite, although keep going to the end of Fighting to Survive to hear the lovely ending...

After a quick brekkie, we headed off into Auckland to check out the city, ably assisted by Ray. Auckland decided that it wasn't going to play ball, and promptly bucketed down all day. Jean hems soaked from dragging along the floor, we stopped for a great lunch by breaking into (not literally) the Council's staff canteen, where Ray delivers every now and then. Not strictly meant to be lunching there but everyone knows him so it's nothing too below board!

We walked around the town hall and to the Skytower, which, for the first time ever when faced with the tallest building in a city, I decided not to go up. The weather meant that the views would have been terrible so it was just a nose around the shop for me.

We then went to see Monique's school, St Cuthbert's, which is the leading girls' school in the country. Monique is Head of Department for Physical Education so we checked out the classrooms as well as watched a few lessons taking place. It's an amazing place - such a high standard of facilities. Almost made me want to go back to school. Well, only momentarily...

The rain pretty much wrecked the rest of the day so it was back to Ray and Mon's for a glass of chardonnay (or 2) and a lovely roasted veggie dinner. Veggies taste so much better over in Australia and NZ - so much fresher, as of course everything is locally produced.

I resumed washing up duties - got to earn your keep, my Dad would say - before we had a quick Skype with home and then lights out.

More rain today but on the good news front - the tankini I left behind at Franz Josef has returned! Post arrives here before 9am - remember those days in the UK?! Time to brave the floods and hit the town...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb