New Zealand (North Island)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
October 2nd 2011
Published: October 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We've been pottering about New Zealand for getting on a month now and have done so many amazing things, its time for a blog update! Sit comfortably....!
Touching down in Auckland, World Cup fever was upon us before we'd even left arrivals. As soon as we met up with Kate and Emily we were straight on the Irish and English fancy dress hunt and soaking up the atmosphere in the 'fan zone' by the waterfront. Kate's family friends live just outside of Auckland and the daughter works for RWC. She very kindly let us have her RWC flat- we'd landed in 5* backpacking dreamland. Having decorated it accordingly we spent a silly amount of time making ourselves look like genuine Irish girls (easier for some of us than others...!), before hitting the 'Fan Trail' (a 50min walk to Eden Park stadium), to watch the Ire v Aus match. And WHAT a match to watch. The atmosphere was just immense- a sea of lepracuans. It was very hard to distinguish between authentic irish people, kiwis dressed like them to wind up the wallabies, and those recognising that the irish are the ones to follow for the 'craic' (like us). We loved the game and atmosphere so much we couldn't resist grabbing some last min tickets to the Ire v Russia game which coincided with our arrival in Rotorua a week later (best birthday pressie you've ever got me Benji!!). Had some craic-ing (terrible, sorry...couldn't resist) seats 13 rows back for this match, right on the try line, and a brilliant night out afterwards. Apparently the town wasn't expecting the fans to get there early so the day before we arrived the bars had shut at 10pm as they had run out of alcohol, and the cash machines of cash. Very funny.

After Auckland we headed up north to the Bay of Islands and Cape Reigna. Cape Reigna is famous for its 90 mile beach (which is actually 60ish miles), and we had great fun boarding at the down the sanddunes at the end. Part of the trip took us to the very northern point of the north island where the pacific and tasman oceans meet. Emily and I spent about 20mins fascinated by the concept, wondering why no one shared this feeling enough to stop and take an equally excessive number of snaps. Then we were informed that the bit we'd
CIMG6445CIMG6445CIMG6445

Blue lips after a dip in the pacific
been wow-ing over was just a wave and the sight was infact further on in the walk. After a bit of drama rescuing Kate when she got locked in the public loos we headed off for some 'fush n chups' overlooking the water in the sunshine. Brilliant.

Back in the Bay of Islands we had an incredible boat trip round the bay and to the 'hole in the rock.' The weather was gorgeous and we were one of the lucky few boats to see dolphins dancing alongside our boat in the sunshine which was awesome. When we stoppped off at the first island I couldn't resist a dip in the pacific (those years of training in the Irish sea are paying off!) The girls, who sensibly watched from the beach, were approached by some locals to enquire whether I was drunk. It was indeed flipping freezing and by lips went blue but it was well worth it and by the second island in the afternoon I persuaded the others to join me for a second swim.

Waitomo was the next main stop where we did black water rafting- a 5 hour caving trip beginning with a 37 metre absail down a sheer verticle drop. Then the adventure course began. There were all kinds of tunnels to climb through, waterfalls to clamber over, zip wires etc. The trick was to scream a bit because when they thought you were scared the instructors were less like you to throw you off ledges unexpectedly. Emily had this technique mastered (there were a few times we thought she was dropping to her peril) but having lost my voice I couldn't scream so enjoyed the extra bumps!! When we turned off our head torches, there were glow worms everywhere- such a surreal sight as we floated through the caves on rubber rings looking up at them- absolutely stunning. We especially enjoyed the hot chocolate and flapjack stops to warm us up (what a surprise..!), which worked as a timely bribe when I was informed that there were eels in the next bit we had to wade through (bit like the jammy dodger days, Pats!) The whole thing was an amazing experience.

Taupo was next- skydive time! Having been picked up from our hostel in a limo (as you do...) we arrived at the centre on a beautifully clear day, ready to jump 12,000 ft over Lake Taupo and the mountains. It was just the 5 of us in a bright pink plane- they must have heard there were a couple of Essex girls in the group...! The built up consisted of Carmel discussing with the instructor the liklihood of her vomming and Emily confessing to wearing her pyjama bottoms under her suit as an extra layer of warmth. Bizzarely, I wasn't actually nervous and was just buzzing with excitement. I was however a tad concerned when a man in a high vis jacket came and adjusted by harness thing because my instructor hadn't quite done it right. What a hero. Failing this, at least I would have had my entourage of 4 lawyers to back me up in the case of personal injury. I think it only really hit me what I was about to do when he opened the door and the wind hit me. I was first to jump and it did feel like I was hanging over the edge for a while before he launched us out. It made me laugh that the other 4 girls screamed on my behalf as we tumbled out, which useful because I was completely stunned into silence. The feeling is just incredible- it takes your brain a while to work out what the hell you've just done to it but then you just can't get over the feeling. When the parachute was pulled we just floated down with incredible views. It kind of feels like you're just suspended in air. Amazing. By far the coolest thing I have ever done and can see how people get addicted to it.
I have a brilliant video which I'll post home soon for you lot to have a laugh at my 'OH MY GOD OH MY GOD's and 5 chins (the camera angle is not the most flattering...)
The rest of Taupo was spent relaxing by some naturally heated pools in the sunshine.

We spent a bit of time in River Valley which was stunning, and a few days in Wellington which was buzzing with rugby fever. A great place to celebrate the Eng v Scot result!

The last week or so has been equally jam packed- including get boating on the river at Westport (rapid and stunts in a speed boat) and spending some time jumping off the jetty at Lake Mahinpua. We stayed at a pub/ hostel famous with the kiwi experience buses at Lake Maninapua- the Poo Pub which is run by a guy in his 80s who organises a fancy dress night. The hockey girls within us jumped into Tuesday night costume prepping mode, and with just a few hours notice created some master piece 'English rose' outfits to fit with the World Cup theme. It was a brilliant night ending in a walk down to the lake at 3am, led by our bus driver, who showed us where the glow worms hang out. There were about 30 of us on the jetty watching shooting stars on a beautifully clear night. Just another of the kind of surreal experiences which are becoming the norm on travels.

Frans Joseph glacier hiking was our next 'biggy' and it was sensational (I'm running out of superlatives for this blog!!) An all day hike, we headed up about 600 metres of glacier, climbing through ice caves etc. The perspective was crazy- from the bottom it looked like the ice towers were 2 metres in height tops, but they were actually the size of houses. It was such a good day, and the photos don't even do justice to the views. We were well ready to spend the evening relaxing in the hot pools by the end. Brilliant.

We've just spent a few nights in Wanaka which we loved. Weather was gorgeous and we did some great walks to views points overlooking the lake and mountains. The reflections of the mountains in the lakes have been incredible (see pics!) Our favourite day was when we rented kayaks to poddle about in the bay. This turned into a 12km paddle to an island where we pitched up for a picnic lunch. So much fun, and once again taken aback by the breathtaking scenery.

We're now in Queenstown for over a week and we love it here already. We spent yesterday luging down Bob's peak (thanks very much to mam and Carrie!) It was raining pretty hard so we enjoyed the skids (andrenalin junkies...!), bin bag outfits and, despite the rain, the views from the top. The nightlife here is great (if its good enough for Mike Tindall, it's good enough for us...) In particular, last night was 'Orange Wednesday' in one bar. Carmel and I couldn't believe our luck to learn that we were entitled to free drinks and proudly boast some tshirts saying 'GINGER PRIDE.' I don't think I've fgelt so popular since primary school when everyone needed me as their Ginger Spice in the Spice Girl dance competition...!!
In between the nights out we've taken on the title of 'Book Club' where we snuggle up in bed with our head torches!!

Missing you all back home but every day we're seeing and doing things that taking our breathes away and we're literally having the time of our lives. Enjoy the millions of pics I have just uploaded! Lots of love to everyone xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 88, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb