Flying to New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 31st 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Black Cadillac Escalade turned the corner onto our street and slowed to a stop in our driveway right on time. Our limo had come to take us to the airport, courtesy of our travel agent. Loading our bags in we began the 45 minute trek and the start of actual travel after all the anticipation. Saturday traffic was light and we arrived and offloaded at the curb. Mary had discovered that our First/Business Class ticket gave us no charge baggage service on U S Airways and the baggage clerk informed us that our international destination required the agent to review our passports inside. With everything in order we proceeded to the security check point, and finding few people in line we were at our gate promptly. We boarded in Zone 1 priority and with the flight leaving on time we enjoyed a smooth flight to Charlotte for our first stop. Changing planes with little delay we again left promptly for LA and this time were treated to beer and wine and a classy dinner by our flight attendant. He’s been working for the airline for 20 years and shared his viewpoints of the changes he’s witnessed, including those wrought by the bankruptcy, loss of retirement plan and elimination of certain hiring standards (weight, height, etc.). Crew scheduling changes have also reduced the amount of time available to sightsee and relax.
Flying over the broad expanse of Los Angeles and arriving at LAX we were abruptly catapulted out of our smaller city approach to life. We finally made our way toward the Air New Zealand gate only to be confronted with lethargic and understaffed TSA agents. Making our way through that mess and on to the gate we were welcomed into the world of the Kiwis (New Zealanders). While at the check-in counter trying to explain why we had one way tickets (they were fearful we’d stay in the country without the proper visas until we shared our plans to board the ship). Invited to the Air NZ Travel Lounge we found a spread of food and beverage fit for the Regent life. Their friendliness was spirited and the short stay wonderful. Boarding our aircraft on their notification we again went to the head of the line and into our upper cabin on the Boeing 747. As we were in Business Premium we had a special seat that makes you feel as if you’re in your own little cocoon. With your own TV, large recessed tray table, reclining seat (with separate seat/foot rest) which makes into a bed, inflight movies/TV, and the welcoming glass of champagne, we were ready to spend an eternity here. The special meal matched the surroundings, with its accompanying NZ wines, and we settled in for the long flight to Kiwi Country. Mary commented that it’s going to be tough returning to Economy Class travel! I noted in the available movies, the 1973 flick “Papillon” with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman about prisoners on the infamous French penal colony Devil’s Island, New Guinea. During our South American cruise last year we visited Devil’s Island and read about Papillon so now I got the chance to see the movie in the comfort of my own little lounge chair on my way to this year’s adventure.
After a filling omelet breakfast we passed rapidly through customs after arriving a half an hour late. Our security check for our domestic NZ flight was a dream compared to the US version and the staff was friendly and courteous. Again the lounge with its full bar and food and then we flew to Christchurch. Even the Air NZ onboard security video is fun to watch. Meeting us at the airport was our Swain Tours representative who drove us to the downtown Crown Plaza Hotel for our check in. More next time on our introduction to the city of Christchurch by a wonderful friend.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb