Day 8: Down and Safe


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
December 7th 2010
Published: December 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post


Day 8: Dec. 7, Down and Safe

When we landed in Auckland, I was utterly exhausted.
I'd only catnapped on the train and airplane, and I hadn't slept too well at the La Quinta -- though that was the fault of my bronchitis, not the La Quinta.

Luckily the Air New Zealand staff treated me with great care and courtesy. I was helped into a wheelchair and rolled off to a motorized cart which took me to immigration. Once there I declined another wheelchair (after all, I'll be walking for three months with no help but my cane), but an ANZ escort stayed with me and whisked me through the security lines. I was taken immediately through immigration (no waiting) and customs (no waiting either) and guided to biosecurity, where the officer barely glanced at my blue bag and at the doctor's note I had for the herbal supplements in it. It was wonderful, but I felt a little foolish about the long exchange of e-mails I had gone through back in the summer to make sure I could bring them all in.

Unfortunately one of the ANZ staff asked me how long I would be in Auckland, which led to my mentioning my upcoming flight to Christchurch, and then I had to tell them I had booked it with Jetstar. I was embarrassed. I told them that I would have booked it with them if I'd known they would be so nice, and I really think I might have, even though it would have been four times more expensive. They warned me that I would get no special treatment on JetStar, which is most likely true.

The ANZ support person was ready to escort me all the way to the bus, but I pointed out that I needed to change some money in order to buy my ticket.
The exchange rate has nosedived; it's still at $1.20, but a few months ago it was $1.30 (and when I planned this trip it was $1.65!)

Fortunately, I've already converted most of my money; it's in a Bank of New Zealand account waiting for me. This money was just to tide me over and to pay for my first non-prepaid hostel, in Christchurch.

When the bus came, the driver was in a grouchy mood.
He didn't want to charge me a backpackers' fare because he thought of it as a student fare. I pointed out that as a YHA member I was supposed to receive it too, and he gave in. I was gratified to note that the receipt said, "Backpackers' Fare," not "Student Fare," though I knew the website had said that. It only saved me $2, but every little bit helps.

I got to the Auckland City YHA at 10 a.m.; unfortunately, check-in time was 2 p.m. The YHA agreed to let me store my luggage in a locked storage room; as I would be sharing the storage room with anyone else in the same boat, I kept my laptop and camera with me.

After some thought, I headed for the Museum of Transportation and Technology, better known as MOTAT. I enjoyed it, but I was so tired I could not focus on the exhibits, and when I tripped and fell as I boarded their working tramcar, I knew it was time to give up and go back to the hostel as soon as possible.

(The driver helped me up, and I wasn't seriously injured, but I badly bruised two of the smaller toes on my left foot and I bruised my good knee. Both still hurt.)

I returned to MOTAT on Dec. 8th, and spent the day there, so I'll describe it in more detail in tomorrow's entry.

The Auckland City Hostel turned out to be nicer than I had expected. Furnishings were basic but very clean. My room had a twin bed with box-spring and mattress; linens were provided but I had to make my own bed. There was a battered wooden desk against one wall and a rolling wardrobe frame against the other.

It was surprisingly quiet, and the neighborhood, while clearly a student quarter, was a lot better than the LAX airport neighborhood around the La Quinta. The view out my window was quite cheerful; a sloping street with a flowering tree in the median, in full bloom. I did not recognize the tree. I hope it was a pohutukawa; I've heard about them, and the flowers *were* red.

There was a games lounge with all sorts of board games, a huge kitchen, and, apparently, a TV lounge on a higher floor, though I did not visit it. The laundry room was in the basement.

I Skyped Jim (Internet $10 a day), though I had to do so from the games lounge as the wireless signal was not strong enough in my room. He had been worried about me as he had thought I would e-mail from Auckland airport. Perhaps I should have tried.














Advertisement



9th December 2010

Glad to hear
Glad to hear you have arrived safely in Auckland.
10th December 2010

Meredith, just wanted to let you know I am loving your blog...you should be a writer. I can hear you talking as I am reading. I hope you are feeling better and I am so sorry you fell, will pray that you heal up, pronto!! Keep up the good work. I am keeping Dr. Wolfe and the other girls posted. I hope Jim is doing ok without you. Becky
5th February 2011

you declined a wheelchair ?
All the walking you had ahead of you would have been reason a-plenty for ME to accept the 2nd wheelchair! Aren't you the trooper... :)

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb