Getting our new life in order


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
November 2nd 2010
Published: November 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip to Coromandel


We made it, hugged and kissed Nicole and Chris, put some names to faces - now what!



We seemed to have spent a week shopping, which I might add is my favorite thing to do. Bought some pillows, towels, food, and a car. We picked up a 2001 Toyota van since we were trying to go for that "soccer mom look". Only problem is the steering wheel is on the wrong side. After trying to get the dealer to move it, I finally figured out everyone drives on the wrong side of the road here. Not only that, but every road outside of towns and bigger than a goat path has a 100 kph (62 mph) speed limit. This is gonna be fun. Hang on Dianne we need to get milk.

Actually the drivers are pretty good. They do tailgate trying to pass cause I can't seem to take hairpin turns on two wheels. Hardest part is making turns and getting into the correct lane. The other odd thing is if you are making a left and someone coming at you is turning right, they have the right of way. Very odd!

Most cars are smaller
Pond at West Brook WineryPond at West Brook WineryPond at West Brook Winery

Palm trees and grape vines
than the US. No pick pickup trucks, but the full size trucks are just as big. A little scary coming around a tight turn in the wrong lane and a huge truck pops out of nowhere.

It is a breeze to buy a car. You do not not even need insurance (we still did though). Signed 2 papers, handed over a check and drove away. I guess some of the stuff we get used to does not really have be that hard. I think our government (US) sometimes creates laws and bureaucracy without thinking through the effects. And then once they are in place, we could never do without them. Hopefully this election will send a message that we are kind of tired. I just think NY really needs some serious change. Sorry, I digress.

We are settling in nicely here. Exploring the area around western Auckland. This area is full of wineries. We even walked to the one next to Nicoles house. We tasted a bunch of White wines, bought a bottle, borrowed 2 glasses and went down to there pond. It was pretty nice sitting in the sun drinking some wine. I could get used to this.

Now that we have a car, I feel a little more free. I would mooch off the kids, but I think I would end up pushing a car instead of driving. We decided to take a little road trip this past weekend to get out of Nicoles hair since she needs to study for exams (i can't imagine anyone would find me a distraction). We headed out to the Coromandel Peninsula about a 3 hour drive from Auckland. It is a beautiful hilly area full of beaches, farms, and beautiful views.

Along the way we stopped at a hot spring for a dip. Most of the hot springs were developed in the 70's and show a little wear around the edges. They are still great for soaking and usually have 3 or 4 pools of different temperatures. The hottest one we were in was 38 degrees celsius. Not sure how that converts, but it was hot.

After 2 hours of hairpin turns, single lane bridges and roads with no guardrails, we made it to the town of Whitianga. In the morning we drove south about 20 minutes to hike to a place called Cathedral Cove. We
Murwai BeachMurwai BeachMurwai Beach

This beach is considered a road and even has a speed limit posted.
got to the beach and could not believe how beautiful it was. Water was a little cold so we had to content ourselves with lying on the beach. We then went to a neat place called Hot Water Beach. At low tide you can dig a hole in the sand and hot water comes out of the ground. It is so hot you feet get burned if you try to dig down to far. Pretty cool, but a lot of work.

So far New Zealand reminds me of England. Especially the older homes and the food. Everyone eats Fish and Chips or Sausages. WE WANT FISH. For crying out loud its an island! Thats it, I am buying a fishing pole. I'll show these Kiwis. I will send pictures of all the record breakers I get, so stay tuned.

Hope you are all healthy, working hard and having fun.

Bruce and Dianne (Nicole and Chris too!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Murwai BeachMurwai Beach
Murwai Beach

It went on forever.
Our new rideOur new ride
Our new ride

2001 Toyota Ipsum
Huge fernsHuge ferns
Huge ferns

These ferns get huge. Look prehistoric.
Playing BadmittenPlaying Badmitten
Playing Badmitten

Nicole and Chris getting a beatdown from the old man.


2nd November 2010

Catch & Release
A word of caution, Bruce. I've heard that all fishing in NZ is "catch and release". Check it out before you feast and then deported!
3rd November 2010
Put down the camera and pour me a glass!

approach with caution
I know that look......What did I do? sorry?! "I'm having a good time, bucko"
3rd November 2010

auckland
bruce why are your entries so serious? come on, lighten up seriously though! i loved this episode thanks for sharing larry
3rd November 2010

What a trip!
We have so enjoyed following your tremendous adventure. We are living vicariously through you. Can't wait to see what you'll do next. Doing our best to keep tabs on the "Folks". We told the Cronin's that your Mom needs a refund for this year. It's amazing how she bounces back. TTFN, Lois & Tom McP
3rd November 2010
Worlds biggest Kiwi Bird

That's not a kiwi!
Hey Bruce. Awesome photo, and it'll be the world's biggest, but it's not a kiwi! Looks like an oyster catcher.
4th November 2010

It's an oyster catcher
Thanks Michelle. I should have done my homework.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb