Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
March 26th 2006
Published: March 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Auckland was both very different to Christchurch and Queenstown. It struck us almost instantly as a very metropolitan city, quite similar to London in many ways and unfortunately where we were staying was far from the nicest street in the city!

I actually had 2 best friends form home in Auckland who had been or will have been working in the city for around 3 months, one at the Auckland Sky Jump Tower (Adam) and the other in a bar on the Viaduct (Andy) (Aucklands equivelant to Sydney's Circular Quay, i.e. a very nice selection of bars and resteraunts over looking the water front).

As there were only three of us arriving to begin with, when we arrived we checked in then went to the bar just for a quiet beer before the other 2 decided on bed. I had already arranged to meet Andy who was working that night at the Viaduct. In hindsight, probably a mistake! Anyway, i finally got to where he was working and as it is when old friends meet the conversation flowed on par with the drinks. It ended up another very interesting night on which it would be hard to elaborate!

The next day i again met up with Andy and after briefly going to see Adam at the Sky Tower, Andy gave me a tour of Auckland including the main park and features of the city. I have to say first impressions were definetly raised substantially after the small tour and seeing the viaduct etc.

The next night i took the other two to the bar where Andy was working again where we were definetly looked after!! We spent most of the beginning of the night at his bar called Cowboy and waited until he had finnished when we all moved on together. Cowboys was definetly an experience as it seemed a pretty exclusive affair. It turned out that we spent most of our night with some celebs to! Of which included the wealthiest woman in NZ tv who was also involved in producing the classic 'This Is Your Life' in the UK. One of the countries news reporters, the presenter of NZ's Weakest link as well as the head curator of the Auckland museum. Not bad going for backpackers!

The night went on and the 4 of us moved onto a bar or two before heading to a place called the D bar which was 24 hours! Once again it was a long night which ended in breakfast at 9.45 then bed at 10.30, even though Andy had work again at 11!!!!

I awoke the same day at 6.45pm and it was dark - i was slightly confused in my awoken state considering when i had gone to bed it had been broad daylight!

We managed to see some of the city again before meeting up once again with Andy for a few quiet drinks at a different bar. Once again we were looked after very well and all due to Andy's friends and contacts. I'd like to say a big thank you to Andy and Adam for making Auckland very enjoyable!!!! That night the others arrived in Auckland so once again we were a group of about 9 strong.

The next couple of days were spent relaxing. Again i met up with my two friends during the day before they headed off. Since then its been a case of sorting out our flights to Thailand - Nick and I will be flying to Singapore on Wednesday so thats probably where you can expect the next blog to come from!!!

Hope everyone is ok back home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb