Auckland - Pretty rubbish


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
June 28th 2009
Published: June 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What?What?What?

Weird shop!!
So, last stop in New Zealand, grey Auckland. Not too much to say about it really, not impressed at all. Just a big grey city. Has its nice parts, the harbour is ok, the gardens and univeristy are quite nice, but not great, a sad way to finish such an amazing country! For anyone visting New Zealand, spend your time on the South Island, much much better place!

Had a good few ales on the first night with a few people, and the bar was doing daft drinking games with free beer whenever a certain song played. Only thing was, the free beer was from a seperate unlablelled pump, and tasted shocking, still, it was free. Everyone felt rough the day after, damn that free odd tasting probably drip tray, bar towel squeezed leftover pints!

Anyway, a slow day walking around, seeing the, ahem, sights of Auckland. We all dragged our poorly selves to the cinema that night to see the new Transformers film, perked us up a bit!

Had a proper look around the day after, walked for miles, still, not much to see. Went into the SkyTower, well, went as far up as i could till
Sky Tower CasinoSky Tower CasinoSky Tower Casino

I went mad & blew $2
they start charging you. It was ok, had a big Casino, where i blew a massive $2 on the pokies. Pretty sad place actually. Had hundreds of machines, and people were just sat for hours playing them. And they were playing 1c games...thats less that half a pence, so i'm not sure why they were bothering...

Few beers that night, including a huge vat of Leffe (which coast a fortune, good job it was Roy's round) and a shocking Guinness.

I was gonna make the most of my last full day by either going on a cruise to a couple if little islands, or going to Waitomo caves. But as i type its chucking it down, and has been aaaaaaaallllllllllll day long. I have just been for a quality meal tho. Last day so thought i'd go for it. Really nice Belgian Beer House serving great beer, in it's proper glass, accompanied by Lamb Shanks with Dauphinoise potatoes. Get in my belly, that was superb!

Bring on South America. A nice 11 and a half hour Qantas flight with free booze (hopefully) and food!

Oh, and for those of you who know the Royston, he's decided to call it a day on the travelling front. The amazing sights of South America pale into comparison with Sweet Home Failsworth Pole for him, so he's flying back to blighty instead of Santiago! A punishing 40 hours from take off in Auckland to landing in Manchester!! Enjoy mate, i'm sure your tankard will still be waiting in the Willow Tavern filled with stale Fosters, i will of course be sampling some fine chilean reds on the Plaza de Armas, if it's not raining that is!

Hasta Luego!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb