Happy Chinese New Year, Happy Australia Day, Kia ora ...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 31st 2009
Published: January 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kia ora!



We've made it over to Auckland - but we've done a lot since our last update...

Singapore was lovely, but damn it's expensive there, especially once you've got used to the cost of living in other Asian countries. Over a pound for a meal? Gotta be kidding. The cocktails were killer prices. It's all nice and clean, if a little too orderly seeming sometimes, but it has a great and very well kept underground railway. We stayed in a b&b on the penthouse floor of an apartment block not far from Chinatown.

We lived it up good and proper while we were there - toured around the river on a boat, sipped on a Singapore sling at the Long Bar at Raffles (I'm not even going to say how much that cost - it was truly disgusting but wonderfully lavish) - Chris had a suit made up and I had to get in on the act and had a Chinese style dress adjusted to fit.

We happened to be just in time to help the Chinese population see in the Chinese New year. The atmosphere was amazing - the streets of Chinatown were decked out in lanterns, there were parades and dragons and shows. The countdown itself was a bit of an anticlimax, and for a minute I thought there was going to be an actual stampede as thousands of people all fought to go in opposite directions along narrow streets once the countdown was over. I think Chris got a few digs in the ribs for no reason from frustrated looking men, but we made it out alive (eventually) and on to Sydney.

Sydney



It was raining when we arrived for our first night in Sydney (on Australia day - more good timing). Can you believe it?! After 40 degree heat a few days before. It made it feel like home though, although the wet floor/flip flops combo is not one I can recommend. It's not big and it's not clever. And we don't miss the rain, not even the tiniest bit. We spent our first day at the fantastic aquarium, sheltering, but then praise the weather fairies - I'll be blown if it didn't totally clear up in time for our twilight bridge walk across Sydney Harbour Bridge! Yup, the sun came out and we were up there in time to see a beautiful sunset. Good times (thank you so much Dearing family for that treat!).

The sun decided to be good and play with the other children the next day - we toured around on an open topped bus, went to Bondi Beach and walked around the coast, ate at Kings Cross then met up with a friend, Rit, to drink stupidly strong rum. It was good to see a familiar face (he did a very good job of persuading us that moving to Oz woud be A Good Thing) and altogether we had a great couple of days in Sydney, even if booze costs an arm and a leg - what's that about?!...


Which brings us back to doh doh doh doh ... or

Auckland



We're staying in a hostel here, so have done our first bits of cooking in a long time. It's nice actually, not to mention cheap. Parnell,the area we're in, is lovely. We've seen some art and sights and - praise the lord - found a drum n bass night to go to last night!! Woop woop. We had a wicked time and met a sound guy originally from Nottingham. Luckily the hangovers weren't too bad this morning for our trip to Waiheke Island, which was just beautiful. We had sunshine all day (the sun is truly evil here. It's not as hot as other places, but the UV rays are so intense you frazzle instantly! Our bus driver and tour guide around the island, Royce, was a legend. We love Royce. We want Royce to show us around every place we go from now on.

Tomorrow I finally get my skank roots done (about time) and then pick up our campervan the day after for the next instalment of our Kiwi adventures. over and out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



31st January 2009

Hello again!
Hi kids, Wicked blog Sarah, and beautiful photos. You really do have an amazing eye for a fabulous shot. Such a shame that you didn't get to go to a full moon party, but that Coral pool party thing looked a pretty good replacement! And to be in Singapore for Chinese New Year, and Oz for Australia day... Someone likes you up there! Off to Brizzle for Grandpa's birthday now so will be weird without you both. Staying at Andy and Kirsty's tonight so will send them your love. Meeting Grace for the 1st time on Sunday! Keep having fun and posting those photos! Lots of love Al and Sy xXx
7th February 2009

hee hee
am loving the blog! especially Chris's collection of awesome sunglasses... i expect some pink plastic heart shaped ones any day now!! hope you're having a good time larking around in the van :) Claire xxx
7th February 2009

Hehe
Chris' glasses are pretty damn good aren't they. He's saving the heart shaped ones till California ;) xxx

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb