Two Christmases in 2008 - London AND Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
December 25th 2009
Published: January 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mum & Dad's back gardenMum & Dad's back gardenMum & Dad's back garden

The NZ Xmas tree - the Pohutukawa.
Christmas Day came early in London, fitting in a family Christmas with my two brothers, David & Chris, and sister-in-law Ali, before heading off to NZ for Christmas Day with the rest of our family.

Well December was feast after feast. Thanks to Kim and to Paloma and Colin for cooking us fantastic Christmas dinners early on in December. Christmas lunch club with ‘the crew’ was also a whole load of fun. Then on to hosting our own Christmas meal at home in Clarence Ave, Clapham.

Chris and Ali surprised us by arriving bang on time for lunch. David’s lateness was no surprise at all, turning up two hours after kickoff. Mind you he wasn’t the only late one. The Turkey ‘pop-up’, popped-up nearly an hour after the instructions on it’s packet said it would - and it was rather dry as a result. Oh well, the cranberry jelly and the gravy soon sorted that out and the chestnut stuffed squash was delicious.

After Christmas with the UK contingent we headed off to NZ on the 20th December. Arriving in the morning of 22nd Dec, 32 hours after takeoff (of first flight), we headed straight into nearly four
Rangitoto from Mission BayRangitoto from Mission BayRangitoto from Mission Bay

That Iconic Auckland photo. And still a site to behold.
weeks of catching up with friends and family - plus a few adventures in Pauanui & Taupo.

It seems like most of our friends have now got (or are getting - James & Jupes and Nathan & Hannah) married, bought a house, done it up and either popped out or contemplating baby number 1. Here are pics of some of the friends & family we caught up with during our time in NZ.

Apologies to all of you we didn’t manage to catch up with. And the rest of you who caught up with us when I forgot my camera.

We had the most fantastic summer. It was lovely to see everyone after three years. And we have returned to the UK, refreshed and ready to take on the rest of winter.

To follow - separate blogs on Pauanui & Taupo - and the all-important Tongariro Crossing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Christmas at Clarence AveChristmas at Clarence Ave
Christmas at Clarence Ave

L-R: Brendon, Chris, Ali & David: Getting ready to dig into the turkey, stuffed squash, roast vegies & more.
A Cracker Christmas!A Cracker Christmas!
A Cracker Christmas!

Who else? Brendon & me (Claire). Boy was that ktichen hot!
Christmas for six?Christmas for six?
Christmas for six?

Ali & her bump - soon to be the youngest addition to the Agmen-Smith family.
Sunny NZSunny NZ
Sunny NZ

Enjoying the weather with Grandma (Cherry) on one of her balconies in her retirement village. And what a lovely village it is!
Any resemblance?Any resemblance?
Any resemblance?

Brendon with little bro Daniel.
Ahhh... My two GrandsonsAhhh... My two Grandsons
Ahhh... My two Grandsons

Brendon, Nana (Maisie) & Daniel.
The Reid's reunitedThe Reid's reunited
The Reid's reunited

Brendon, Bruce, Linda & Daniel. What a lovely family.
Hiding from the sun under a NZ Christmas tree.Hiding from the sun under a NZ Christmas tree.
Hiding from the sun under a NZ Christmas tree.

Mum & Dad in the Tahuna-Torea nature reserve, on the way to the Glendowie Sandspit.
Crikey!  I thought I was in OZ!Crikey!  I thought I was in OZ!
Crikey! I thought I was in OZ!

Brendon gets the hat not quite right ....
What do I do now?What do I do now?
What do I do now?

Brendon tentatively holding Adrian & Isla's gorgeous babe, Henry Hills.
Adrian, ISla & baby Henry HillsAdrian, ISla & baby Henry Hills
Adrian, ISla & baby Henry Hills

Check out our new home.
Who said I like cats?Who said I like cats?
Who said I like cats?

Brendon & Millie in Nana Maisie's garden.
Checking out the sites at Mission BayChecking out the sites at Mission Bay
Checking out the sites at Mission Bay

Enjoying our first fresh fish - NZ Snapper of course - with Liam at the Fishpot Cafe.
Our favourite Cafe on my favourite beachOur favourite Cafe on my favourite beach
Our favourite Cafe on my favourite beach

Mum, Dad & Brendon enjoying the best brunch, at the famous Takapuna Beach Cafe.
Chilling by the lakeChilling by the lake
Chilling by the lake

Dad & Brendon relaxing on our deck.
Checking out the hottest Club in AucklandChecking out the hottest Club in Auckland
Checking out the hottest Club in Auckland

Brendon & Travis Bonnie at Sale St.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb