North and South Island in one


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
September 20th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

South IslandSouth IslandSouth Island

Fox Glacier - The glacier is 12 km long and is located in the Westland National Park
I got a transfer from Melbourne to Christchurch where I spent my first night. There is a slight time difference between Oz and NZ but no jet lag thank god. Booked into the YHA to play it safe, as usual the same character but no soul.

I wanted too tour around both islands and looked at the easiest way for me to kick back and relax whilst seeing everything that I wanted to see. I came across the Stray Bus Company which came highly recommended by the tour operator, what a surprise.

After walking round Christchurch my adventure really began. We headed north from here on a loop of the South Island as I repeated this part of the journey I’ll tell you about it later. We stayed in Picton which is the ferry port of the South Island which links you too the north. Picton is a beautiful town with some great walks and some great views of the harbour.

From here we headed south to Marahau this is near a place called Able Tasman, and Able was meant to be the first European to land in New Zealand and this is where he landed. It is
South IslandSouth IslandSouth Island

Snow boarding
a national park one of three in close proximity. This is a lovely place to be if the sun is shinning and luckily for me it was.

From here we headed to Barry Town which is a random place not much here except for the local pub but they do have a fancy dress box which the group proceeded to wear and make fools of ourselves with our various costumes.

South again to Franz Joseph and Fox Glacier. We were unlucky with the weather so had to wait a few days before we could head up to the Glacier. The Glaciers are constantly changing so it will be different for each person. It is strange to see the Glacier when in and around the area there is no snow and the weather was sunny. It was a great demonstration of the power of nature.

Onwards to Wanaka for snowboarding and photo shot in base hostel which meant the group got free pizza and beer, result. From here we hit Queenstown which is the party capital for NZ great things to do for everyone a good night life and the biggest bungee in NZ at 136 metres sheer
QueenstownQueenstownQueenstown

Bungy Jumping
fear on everyone’s face before they jump but 8 seconds of money well spent.

I did a loop below Queenstown where we visited Milford Sounds and did a boat cruise there, the weather sucks but the views were amplified because of this and many more waterfalls were apparent that might not have otherwise have been visible.

Travelling further south still more, I did sheep sheering in Tautapee. Then Stewart Island for fishing I must have caught about 20 fish in 2 hours it's virtually impossible not to catch one. Back north and upwards to the North Island. A short stop over in Picton before crossing the sea to the North Island the ferry journey is a good 3 hours and more, and apparently the seas can be rough in that area. The view as you look back at the South Island is well worth getting your sea legs out for. Wellington is a cold city; it has a constant wind which adds a real chill factor.

North Taupo for skydiving cheapest place to do in NZ. North Island still has a lot to offer but not as much as the south. Hahie is worth a visit to
North IslandNorth IslandNorth Island

Tree hugging
see the hot springs, by the sand dig a hole and enjoy the warmest of the water before running into the freezing cold sea.

Ragland is a great place for surf with good steady breaks and a good vibe for surfing. Auckland was my final stop and is a massive place which is worth allowing three days for loads of people there just arriving from either South America or Oz or just heading off. New Zealand is amazing and for me the south is a must give yourself a good month.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

South IslandSouth Island
South Island

Sheep shearing is a physically demanding. Since the 1850s shearing has been carried out by professional shearers especially in the intensive, sheep grazing regions in the world.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb