AuckVegas


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
December 30th 2005
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Chris Does AucklandChris Does AucklandChris Does Auckland

The Auckland skyline, dominated by the Sky City, as seen from Devonport.
After spending Wednesday recovering from our jet lag and the hamhandedness of Jack Black in King Kong, we spent the next two days exploring the bustling metropolis of Auckland. A city of a little over one million people, or 1/4 of New Zealand's total population, it is pleasant, outdoorsy, multi-cultural, but not overwhelmingly interesting. Kind of like a Southern Hemisphere San Diego.

On Thursday, we took a ferry across the bay to Devonport, a quaint village of shops and rich people. We walked to the top of a dormant volcano, which afforded a great view of Auckland and the surrounding areas, including its well-used waterways. After heading into town for fish and chips and a pint, we headed back into the city. Both that night and the next we grabbed dinner at Japanese restaurants. The Asian population in Auckland is quite large, the population breakdown somewhat analogous to the Mexican influence in America. Cheap, authentic Asian food is plentiful, and we eschewed sushi in order to try other Japanese cuisine.

Friday brought a long bike ride up and down the hills of Auckland, which worked out well as it pushed back any chance of Justin fathering children for at
So Many ThornsSo Many ThornsSo Many Thorns

Chris stops to smell the roses after a long day of biking.
least a year. Actually, the trip was enjoyable; we first rode up to the Auckland Museum, the country's main museum which houses everything from Maori artifacts to memorials of New Zealand's war dead. After a quick ride down a steep hill back to the beach, Justin went for a quick swim, while Chris tried to surreptitiously take some topless shots of him to help finance the trip. The ride back home wound through the Parnell district, featuring an impressive rose garden and another district of shops and restaurants.

We originally were going to stay through the 2nd, but decided instead to leave tomorrow for Rotorua in order to better use our time in New Zealand. Happy New Years!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Walking on WaterWalking on Water
Walking on Water

Justin proves that his God complex isn't just another fantasy.
Sixth Bar in Three DaysSixth Bar in Three Days
Sixth Bar in Three Days

Can you tell by the eyes?


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb