A freezing adventure!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 11th 2008
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Minus 5 BarMinus 5 BarMinus 5 Bar

Looking so cool I know
Checked out of our nice(ish) modern hostel and moved next door to a place called Queen Street Backpackers, not quite as modern or clean (we are in an 8 bed dorm and we are the only 2 females, so lets just say there are a few iffy smells in the room!) but it's only for 2 nights and its 6 dollars a night cheaper than the other place - all about the budget now!

After making our packed lunches, we head out to scope the different travel options available.

We are torn between taking another bus tour with a company called Stray (then hopping off at Queenstown to go to Millford Sounds ourself) or are suprised to find that hiring a car for 25 days will cost roughly the same but means we have our freedom.

So after 3 hours delibrating (none of us can make a decision) we decide that the car wins - ROAD TRIP BABY!

After this we have a wander around Queenstreet Market (rubbish) then head back to the hostel to get ready and changed for tonight.

We've read that there is a Minus 5 bar here were everything inside the bar (including the seat, glasses and bar itself) is made of ice! We have also seen in the trusty Lonely Planet that Auckland has a comedy club.
So our plan is to go to the Ice Bar first then catch the late comedy show - fabulous!

The Ice Bar is wicked, thankfully they hire you coats and gloves to go inside with and all they serve is vodka cocktails but the ice glasses make them soo much nicer (they wouldn't let us take any pictures inside the bar - booooooo!)

After 2 cheeky cocktails we head to the comedy club and are suprised at how empty it is - obviously not as popular as in Manchester! The late show is almost cancelled due to lack of numbers but a big group comes in at the last minute and saves the day.

The comedians are not the best I've seen, relying on the audience to make their jokes rather than stand up comedy. But we have a giggle and funny enough the more wine we dink the better they seem to get!

After 2 bottles, we wobble back to our hostel (after a quick munchy stop at Burger
Ice SculpturesIce SculpturesIce Sculptures

This was the closest they would let us get to taking a picture inside, sorry folks!
King, ooops).

After milling with some of the other travellers at the bar we go to our dorm and are pleasantly shocked that we are the first ones there (we are usually the last in and have to sneak around).

One of the guys (Evan) comes in shortly after and after telling us how he made money for his car parking ticket by busking, he gets his guitar out and sings us to sleep. How sweet, the modern day lullaby!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb