Helensville


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 5th 2008
Published: January 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We enjoyed our 2 nights in Helensville, its a nice little town on a meandering river. When I looked out early in the morning, the mist was following the water round, it was beautiful. The hostel was in a building that had once been the hospital, overlooking the river. We had hoped to take a boat trip round the harbour, but unfortunately they weren't running, so we had to find alternatives - which as you'll see, we managed easily. Have just arrived in Auckland now, and getting used to having a time limit on the computer!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

tree adventuretree adventure
tree adventure

an assault course for everyone, several metres above the ground, in the forest. Good fun for some, but I stayed firmly at ground level!
The wharfThe wharf
The wharf

at helensville, looking back towards the town.
Shelly beachShelly beach
Shelly beach

It was shelly too. a quiet beach on the Waipara harbour - the largest harbour in the southern hemisphere.
Shelly beach againShelly beach again
Shelly beach again

the other side of the jetty
Macadamia orchardMacadamia orchard
Macadamia orchard

you could tour round the farm, and buy the nuts. And Macadamia ice cream!
water lilieswater lilies
water lilies

at the macadamia orchard.
gannet colonygannet colony
gannet colony

there were viewing platforms on the cliff, so we could look down on all the mums and chicks. a bit smelly.


7th January 2008

managed to get on the site to make a comment
Hello both of you! Already talked about your days in Helensville but I love the photo of the gannet community and also of Alex the dare-devil!!
9th January 2008

tractor
Is that Uncle Georges new tractor, stranded on the beach!! Just kidding.

Tot: 0.457s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.2144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb