Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
September 30th 2005
Published: September 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We like Auckland much better than the brief first visit we had a few years ago. It is a very vibrant city on a beautiful harbor. We have spent several days exploring the city and getting information. We took a ferry across the harbor for our first over night hike. We hiked to the summit of Rangitoto Island, which was formed by a volcano 600 years ago. Then across a causeway to Motutapu Island were we camped out overlooking Home Bay. There were only two other tents within site on the island. Hike to the summit was strenuous but rewarding with views back across the harbor to Auckland. We took the Coastal Track on the way back to the ferry. It is a misleading name. It was mostly a rough hike through lava fields and only a little distance along the coast.

Last night we found a Mexican restaurant that was really good. It was a popular place, very crowded. We leave for Paihia today by bus. We will stay two nights in a hotel and then do another hike to Cape Reinga, the north end of New Zealand.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1777s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb