Singapore - Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
October 25th 2007
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Considering we were over an hour late leaving London, the flight kept time (probably improved a little) and we arrived in Singapore only an hour late. With no news of our transfer gate, we disembarked and, having faith in the airline’s reputation for efficiency and customer service, I was not surprised to find that our onward flight had been delayed to allow us to connect. It transpired that there’s only one flight a day and they didn’t want us to miss it.

Briefcase in hand, we legged it past the shops, the flowers and the coffee and made it to the gate in record time. Passing through more security, we were herded aboard the new plane and 58 minutes after touching down from London, we were heading down the runway for another 9 hour flight.

Clearly, the first flight was a glitch in Singapore Airline’s service record - this flight was perfect; so slick. A very welcome meal of Fried Rice with Char Siew was served (with copious red wine) and we settled down for the films. I tried to watch Pirates of the Caribbean 3 again, but got so bored and decided to have a doze. Woke up in time for a breakfast of smoked salmon and Chicken Kung Pau (with red wine) and, having given up on the films, decided to participate in the plane-wide quiz. Having got bored with victory, I went back to Kakuro.

The views across the Philippines and Australia were absolutely stunning. Coral tipped islands jutted out of a blue sea whilst, over Australia, mile after mile of wind blown red ridges stretched to the horizon. Soon the sun went down, another time zone slipped by and we prepared for a touch down in Auckland, an hour later than planned.

Considering it was almost 01h00, there was cheery banter and we regaled stories of the long trip from London as we queued through passport control. A little stamp permitting me indefinite residence and a quick “welcome” and I was through - to the baggage collection point. I shouldn’t really have doubted Singapore Airline’s ability to transfer the bags in record time, but there were a few nervous folk wondering whether their bags had made the flight. It felt like a long wait, but I suspect we were just all very tired and wondering why they’d parked all the trolleys against the carrousel! I can’t describe how relieved I was when the baggage finally arrived.

That was it - out through another x-ray machine and into New Zealand - as a resident! Does it feel different? To be honest, after 27 hours I’m really far too tired to think about it. Leaving the cold of the UK behind, it was just nice to get out into a spring morning, at 01h30!

I wandered across to the taxi rank and was met by a burly Maori wearing a padded ski jacket. He obviously thought it cold but apart from idle chatter (“what time did you start?”, “What time are you on until?”, etc.) it was a very quiet trip into the city and to the hotel, which is right next to the Sky Tower next to that other New Zealand obsession, the Bungy Jump!

Off to bed …

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb