Devonport


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
October 8th 2007
Published: October 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got a cab over to a nearby shopping centre in Manukau City yesterday, to buy a Garmin GPS. Steve spotted in the shop that the widescreen model was mis-priced, the same price as the regular sized model, so he wangled a bargain, and it means he can see the screen better. So, I'm redundant now as chief map-reader (phew!).

Went into Auckland City Centre again today and caught Fuller's ferry (Richie moonlighting again) over to the maritime village of Devonport. It's one of the city's oldest suburbs, founded in 1840, with picture postcard Victorian villas and nice beaches. Had a stroll along Cheltenham Beach from where you can see Rangitoto Island, a 600 year old volcano. Apparently, the earth's crust between the Waitemata and Manukau harbours is so thin that every few thousand years, magma finds a fissure and erupts to form a volcano (gulp!). Rangitoto is the result of the most recent eruption.

The weather here is variable; it's quite chilly at night and fairly warm during the day but we had some rain this afternoon. It's early spring, so we should see the best of the weather during our 6 months here. It's going to be strange having Christmas Day in the middle of summer!

We're staying at the airport hotel until we get the van; should hopefully be Tuesday, but likely to be Wednesday. Our first port of call is a store to get the van kitted out with bedding and cookware etc.









Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Cheltenham BeachCheltenham Beach
Cheltenham Beach

These 2 have the right idea!


13th October 2007

we are still working dont worry about us......... I realy like the picture of the big tree Jules how many of your pajamas have you worn yet?
14th October 2007

Cathy & Jo
Hiya! We've finally got internet access after being out in the sticks... I've worn 2 of the 3 pyjama bottoms I brought with me... one left for best ;-)
15th October 2007

LO m8
Hello both,glad to see you have started your travels.Dom passed on your blog,great to see all is well.NZ is a fab place we really enjoyed it when we were there.If you go down to South Island,head out to the Banks Peninsular (outside Christchurch) and to a place called Akaroa......lovely drive,and nice little place to stay.We are in Spain for 3 months and will not be back in Wales till the end of Nov. Plans are....skiing for Christmas.....back over here for Jan.for one month.....then Feb 20th we go to Vietnam and Cambodia for 5 weeks.....backpacking (poor old Yolande !!!!) All the very best to you both,enjoy.....I will watch your blog. BD xx

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb