New Zealand - North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
June 2nd 2007
Published: June 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Auckland BridgeAuckland BridgeAuckland Bridge

View from the sky tower
Oh my god i am in love with New Zealand already and i have only been here a week. Everyone talks about how nice it is over here but its still surprising how nice it is! And all the New Zealanders we have met so far have been REALLY friendly! Sorry if i repeat myself at all i really cant remember what i said, or where i was when i last emailed...

We have been so busy because we have been doing something every day, if we arent driving then we are out seeing, or doing something. So far...
We stayed in Auckland for 2 nights went to the skytower, with a glass floor (scary).

Moved North to Tutukaka which was so remote it was a 45min drive to the nearest ATM, or a decent shop! We stayed there 1 night so katie could go diving, and ended up staying a 2nd night because the wheel on the campervan was loose and we had to exchange campervans (the mechanics were so friendly - they even gave us a ride into town).

Moved on to Paihia in the bay of islands - the view here was absolutely fantastic, our campervan was overlooking the water and it was just great. We stayed 1 night and the next morning before we left we went on a boat trip around the islands, and dolphin spotting. We saw a whole pod of dolphins and they were SO close it was unbelievable! We really enjoyed it, we were right at the front of the boat and the dolphins were a metre directly below us! And there were baby ones too, they came right up and swam in front of the boat it was so amazing! Then we spotted some seals sunbathing on a rock too so that really finished off the day nicely.

The next stop was Ninety mile beach we didnt get there until dark so we just stayed 1 night, then drove up north a bit and went sand boarding - which was FANTASTIC! Seriously loved it! The sand dunes were massive, we had to walk over 3 before we found a really steep one to board down, and then we couldnt make it right to the top because it was so hard to walk up. Then we just sat on the board and tried to stay on as we
CampervanCampervanCampervan

The new one!
flew down the dune. There was hardly anyone up there either it felt like i was in the middle of the desert because it was so quiet and so hot - its supposed to be winter over here!. After getting covered in sand we went up to Cape Reinga, where there is a cute little lighthouse, and its where the 2 seas meet - and you can actually see the waves from both seas meeting in the middle which was cool.

We then drove back down to ninety mile beach and stayed another night, in the morning we walked along ninety mile beach, it is a nice beach but cars drive along it so you cant really sunbathe or anything. There were loads of dead blow fish as well - dont know what that was all about, but i collected some shells as momentos.

From there we drove further south back towards Auckland, we went through a kauri forest, where you can see the biggest kauri tree in New Zealand. Then we stopped in a campsite nearby for the night.

Then we are up to today which we spent mostly driving back to Auckland where we are stopping for just one night before heading up to the hot water beach where you can apparently dig a hole and create your own little spa! Tonight we are making the most of being back in civilisation and going to the cinema to see pirates of the carribbean 3 - wohoo!




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Gorgeous SunsetGorgeous Sunset
Gorgeous Sunset

This is from our campsite in the bay of islands
KatieKatie
Katie

It got a bit cold on the boat
SarahSarah
Sarah

It got a bit cold on the boat
MeMe
Me

It was warm as soon as the boat stopped, but the breeze was freezing
Sand BoardingSand Boarding
Sand Boarding

Katie and Sarah walking up one of the dunes


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb