Breakfast Cereals and Wine


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 23rd 2007
Published: February 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rice Bubbles?Rice Bubbles?Rice Bubbles?

Blasphemy in the depiction of Snap, Crackle and Pop
Astrid and I were up at 7:00 a.m. We went off to a local Justice of the Peace where Astrid had to be "interviewed" regarding her application. We were told that we would know in 4 or 5 days if Astrid's "application" was approved. Having flown half way around the world already, we are assuming that this will be somewhat of a formality.

On the way back from the interview we went to the local book store (Whitcoull's). We picked up a couple of books, including the very useful Lemon and Dogs book, which provides advice on purchasing used vehicles in New Zealand and Oz (Australia). And of course … now wait for it … we went to Starbucks for a latte. The lattes are not all that great. I am trying to decide whether it is just that location or it is due to another factor, like the local milk (definitely tastes different)

Later in the afternoon, we ventured out to check out some cars and find a local mall. The kids are very jet lagged, and were not very happy with driving about. We found a couple of dealerships, but no luck on a vehicle. Used cars seem to be significantly more expensive than in Canada. We did finally locate a mall, but discovered that the malls close at 6:00 on a Friday night (Thursday night is the only “late” night).

We found a Foodland - a local chain grocery store. Shockingly, the kiwi fruit was imported from Italy. There are very few familiar brands. Even Rice Krispies are marketed under a different name: Rice Bubbles (yes, I’d like to know why too.). Audaciously, Snap is portrayed with blonde hair (in real life he has always had red hair as in North America).

Our most exciting discovery of the day was the Wine Aisle. An entire isle of the store (just down from the “Nappies”). The wine is plentiful and cheap. It seems that Ozzie wines are brought in with no tariff, as they are very inexpensive also. We took home a couple of bottles and some interesting cheese.


Advertisement



26th February 2007

most exciting discovery
One might deduce thet the 'Nappies' isle would follow the 'wine aisle'. I think this is a logical progression in any part of the world. Missing you, wish you were here! ( and we there!) Looking for a pinball machine. I wonder why?
26th February 2007

Audaciously?!?
Audaciously?!?! Just want to know I am reading this stuff!
26th February 2007

Curiously?
Maybe it just comes down to the effect of the Earth's rotation. Maybe it should be coriolisly...
19th April 2007

???????
It's AUSSIE not OZZIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
22nd April 2007

Errata
This entry previously referred to Ozzies not Aussies. The bloggers have corrected this entry and regret any inconvenience the previously incorrect entry may have caused.

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0946s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb