Himalayan Challenge - Day 1


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 28th 2019
Published: February 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

This March, I’m taking part in the Himalayan Trust Summit Challenge and walking 8,848 steps a day (1 step for each metre of the height of Everest - 8,848m) to raise funds for the people of Nepal.

Ever since Sir Edmund Hillary built the first schools and hospitals in the Everest region in the 1960s, the Himalayan Trust has been transforming lives in remote mountain communities: opening up new opportunities for young people through quality education, providing life-saving medical care, building water systems to provide safe drinking water and increase income from farming; and rebuilding schools following the 2015 earthquakes.

I’m taking part in the Summit Challenge because I have always admired Sir Ed, not just his physical achievements but his passion to help the people of Nepal. I visited Nepal many years ago and feel in love with the people and the country. The warmth they felt for New Zealanders is largely due to Sir Ed.

During the month of March, I’ll be walking all over Auckland - 8,848 steps a day, 274,288 in total. That’s an average of about 7km a day.

I’d really appreciate your support. Any donation you can make – big or small – will help continue Sir Edmund Hillary’s life-changing work in Nepal.

Please give whatever you can through my fundraising page:

https://summitchallenge.everydayhero.com/nz/gaynor



Time to put my shoes on and get going,

Gx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb