Thursday morning 7AM


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
November 8th 2006
Published: November 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Awakened by the rain, Wendy still asleep so got up had coffee and as this machine was free thought I'd do a quick update as we may not have decent access for a bit. Its really p***ing down here at the moment.
Despite inauspicious start I'm getting to like Aukland. The city has a fantastic location with water on all sides, its a strange combination of older British/European and US stiles mixed thrown together. Some bits are pretty ugly light industrial units then just riound the corner their will be a couple of nice buildings and a small park with beautiful trees. The trees (and flowers are one of the most redeeming features (as they are of most cities)). Most of the trees here are pretty impressive - perfect climate for growth - huge oaks, Norfolk pines stretching into the bright blue sky (at least it was bright blue yesterday afternoon and hopefully later again on today), a mixture of local trees which I don't know and several european ones including Scots pine, ash and willow.

After yesterdays trip to the museum which as well as having some great exhibits - you feel kinda small stood next to a full size (9ft) model of a Moa or even a full size model of an albatross (3 ft to shoulder) - really looking forward to visiting albatross colony on South Island, the museum building itself is quite impressive and has just been completely refurbished. These guys I shared a cigarette with in the park were right.

Anyway going to see if Wendy has arisen from the depths of sleep and make her a coffee. Hoping to drop into Internet cafe downtown later to add some more photos (it has fast access, a connection to download photos and only costs about 50p per hour. Hope all our readers are well.

Keep in touch


Advertisement



Tot: 0.375s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb