The end is nigh....


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Waiheke Island
September 23rd 2006
Published: September 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ye Olde GuitarYe Olde GuitarYe Olde Guitar

On the beach
Yes, this should be my last blog from the land of the kiwis unless something unbelievably interesting happens in the next 24 hours. My week in Auckland has been spent closing bank accounts, chnaging all my cashmondo into American dollars, 'studying'/'staring balnkly' at my Spannish phrase book, and more interestingly camping on Waiheke Island for a night.

Waiheke is only 35mins ferry ride away from downtoen Auckland, and you can still just about see the skyline of the capital when you get there, but the difference between the two places is huge Auckland is a constant struggle with too many people and everybody rushing everywhere, whereas Waiheke gave me the impression of a cross betwee, the Channel Islands (even tho i've never been) and Goa (due to its microclimate). Its population is around 8000 and its about 20km across with 20 Vineyards (monies didn't allow indulgance here) and a host of holiday-ey things to do.

For my part I was there to camp for one last night in the open air in New Zealand, and I dont think i could have picked a better spot to go. The weather was glorious and the campsite was set in an imaculate
Goodbye AucklandGoodbye AucklandGoodbye Auckland

View from ferry
regional park consisting of forrest, beach, bird protection areas and even solar panled toilets, showers, and also a free electric BBQ. Sadly for me I elected to forget spoon, plate, cutlerey, tin opener, and just had a stove. Still neccesity is the mother of invention and tent pags quickly were adapted to ably carry out all the tasks needed. I also got a bit lost on my walk to the campsite, which ended up being a 5km trek up a huge hill and through all kinds of treey areas. The actual time there was spent playing my guitar mostly and reading my guide books, nobody else was to be seen the whole time i was there so i was lucky to get exactly what i wanted. Very much felt like i was saying goodbye as the views and setting were stunning, there was a super sunset, and at night you could see the glittering far off lights of the Auckland skyline.

I could go on and on about how fantastic this country is, and i advise all that read this who havent gone, to go, and go soon. From the relaxed and welcome hospitality of Tony and Clare in
Tent PegsTent PegsTent Pegs

Can be fashioned into anything
Wellington over Christmas, to the tranquil and summery days in the bay of lslands, to travelling the north island, skydiving, food festivals in Hokitika, glacier walking, mountin walking, Queenstown, Mt Cook, Weliington house sitting, Levins beach and finally the mixed feelings of horror and joy at Te Puke with the Kiwi fruit. I've loved all of it and certianly wouldn't chnage it. Only regret was that i didn't get to see a Kiwi in the wild, and i feel a tinge of regret not doing a bungy. I'll certianly be back here one day its an awesome place to live and visit and everythings so much less rushed than in the UK. I've no idea how i'm going to cope with the likes of Chile, Boliviar, Peru, Brazil, Costa Rica and the States. My overiding feeling is being variously apprehensive, nervous, paniced, excited and explorative (wanting to be like an explorer - if this is no word it should be) at the moment, i'm sure once i get there it will be easy to get on with things. It will be a strange travelling somewhere so different to NZ.

This is it fron NZ folks. no worries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

SundownSundown
Sundown

another one for the collection
CampsiteCampsite
Campsite

perfect for views, facilities and everything
A Big TreeA Big Tree
A Big Tree

pohutakawa (NZ christmas tree) no less
Modern ArtModern Art
Modern Art

Interesting eh !
Random Random
Random

Encountered on my hike back to the ferry
Sum up NZ in one photoSum up NZ in one photo
Sum up NZ in one photo

cows and greenness...winner


23rd September 2006

hi
i am sure you will enjoy your time in south america, at least you can ask where you can find a toilet in spannish, that could be very important...
24th September 2006

Eh up lad
Man south america is ace. More random than a barrel of frogs in a plane! Thats pretty dam random. And they love football! Like if they had to choose between not playing football or selling their granny, they'd pack granny;s suitcase and ask you where you'd like her dropped off. Winner

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 91; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb