Waiheke Island - wine, beaches, & poo!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Waiheke Island
November 15th 2007
Published: November 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

waiheke island


FerryFerryFerry

View of Auckland from the ferry ride over
Another awesome day.

Got started early....breakfast in the hotel (my snazzy traveler husband is a big shot at hte hyatt so we got the free breakfast in the regency club lounge) then headed down town. Walked around a bit - lined up our car for tomorrow, took some pictures on the pier of hte harbour bridge, et al - then caught the 10AM ferry to Waiheke Island.

Waiheke Island is about a 35 minute ferry ride from Auckland - its a very scenic ride, leaving the city adn weaving through georgous little islands in the harbour. But hte most amazing view of all was arriving at Waiheke. What an amazing place. It still has this old hippy settler feel to it - and as Jenny, our tour guide, described it to us - there are no traffic lights, no McDonalds, no Hospital, and 1 supermarket. And driving around, that was the feel you got. ARound every turn was another fabulous view of the water and land. Its all pretty much settled now, with huge vineyards, beautiful beaches, and great little vacation homes.

Got a great tour - and stopped to take many pictures along the way - the
lambslambslambs

Local lambs - also known as christmas dinner
sheep field, the Oreo cows, the rooster dump, the harbour view, etc. The rooster dump was my favorite. The people were tired of having hte roosters wake them up, so they just dump them in this general area - and they hang out there all day. They know to expect food from stopping cars so as we pulled up they enveloped us. It was hilarious.

First stop was Mudbrick Winery - they had a nice selection of wines, but nothing we overly fell for. Then we continued along the way and went to an award winning oil mill, Rangihoua , the only one on hte island. Got a tour of the mill and got to taste some outstanding olive oil. Next was lunch at this great place - Te Whau cafe at the winery. Not only was the place architechurally interesting (with an amazing view), the food was to die for! Then we made a stop at Stonyridge Winery - some interesting pours there, but by the time we got there we were both exhausted anyhow.

Caught the 4:45PM ferry back to the city, and strolled around town a bit. Then back to the hotel for some happy
oreosoreosoreos

Oreo cows - think i could unscrew their heads from their tails?
hour. I think we will try to grab a light dinner tonite. Tomorrow we are off to Waitomo Caves in the morning....

Jet lag is a bitch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

flowersflowers
flowers

local wild flowers on Waiheke
lavenderlavender
lavender

Lavender plants with a pollenator.
coast linecoast line
coast line

beautiful waiheke coastlines
edge of the islandedge of the island
edge of the island

Nice pic on the edge of the island
NZ treeNZ tree
NZ tree

Forget hte name of thetree, but in the summer it blossoms in all these pretty red flowers -its the christmas tree!
roosterrooster
rooster

Cruising the rooster dump.
poopoo
poo

$1 poo! Thats like 75 cents in USA -rockin! But dan said i was too good for the $1 poo....he bought me the $2 bag! Whatta man!


15th November 2007

each entry better than next
we are up in woodstock with no cell service....this keeps us in touch with the real world...or should i say the unreal! we love and miss you..enjoy all u can!
17th November 2007

THIS IS FABULOUS!!...i love reading this!!...i can't wait for the next update....couldn't be happier for the 2 of you!!...just keep loving every minute!!...btw...i'm hoping uncle j would think i was worth the $2 poo also...i'll let you know!..XOXO's
18th November 2007

BETTER AND BETTER
THIS TRIP HAS EVERYTHING. CONTINUE TO ENJOY EVERY SECOND. STILL THINKING ABOUT YOUR SPECTACULAR WEDDING. L, GRANDPA
20th November 2007

I do hope you really did buy the bag of poo . . . because let's face it, that's probably the easiest way to make sure no one sits in the row with you guys on the next plane ride. ;)
24th November 2007

Wowie!
I am living vicariously! Good thing Em told Debs...or I would have been in the dark about this! Keep having a ball! XOXO

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb