Moving to New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » North Shore
June 19th 2011
Published: June 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

AucklandAucklandAuckland

Skyline
New Zealand Immigration

Moving to a new country with family in tow, might just be the toughest journey you will ever take, and those in the know will rate the stress levels right up there with getting divorced and being fired.

We decided to make the big move in 2005, and soon found ourselves returning to our homeland of South Africa. Not because we didn't like New Zealand, but because we missed our friends, family and way of life too much. Two years later we moved back to New Zealand again for the same reasons and the same old pains. South Africa was just not working for us anymore, and the crime aspect was getting too close for comfort.

Two years down the line, I feel we have broken through, and we can finally say that we are settled. Sure all our life's savings are gone for good, but we are enjoying a new form of wealth, the wealth of being able to go for walks and not having to be overly careful about whether we have locked or not.

My wife still misses her sisters dearly, and I long for those business lunches that spontaneously erupted
ChristchurchChristchurchChristchurch

Art Gallery
into late night parties. Family wise, I do have some support in the form of my brother and business partner, and this does help to keep that side going. We have made a fair amount of new friends, some Kiwi, and some South African. But nothing that can really compare to what we had in SA. Convincing everyone to make the move to NZ is not a real prospect, everyone has their own lives to live, and no one can prepare you for the difficulties of immigration.

We handled our immigration ourselves, simply packed up, flew to Auckland, looked for work and settled down. Now I'm a member of a golf club, play indoor cricket every week, and business prospects are looking great. In fact, we have just completed a DVD for potential migrants wishing to migrate to New Zealand from South Africa. You can buy it now at www.sashoponline.co.nz, and will soon be on its own dedicated website.

Winter is a time where the homesickness really sets in... We miss the sunshine, the rugby and the braaivleis. But here we do have all of those things; good biltong, boerewors and even melktert and koeksisters. Seeing the Bokke
AkaroaAkaroaAkaroa

75km from Christchurch
win, or the Bulls taking the Super 14 is not the same when it happens at 4am, but at least we get to see it.

It might sound bad, but the pros far outweigh the cons. We get to take afternoon walks, enjoy city street life again, enjoy stress free driving, holidays and even late night returns to our home; all things you weren't too sure of in Johannesburg.

New Zealand is an organised country, and most things work well, on time and efficiently. Sure they are an overly PC group and share a unique sense of humour, but they accept us as part of their nation. I’m here to stay and make my mark. I’ll start cheering for the Blues in the new Super 15, root for All Blacks in the Tri-Nations and I’ll even learn the rules of netball.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

ChristchurchChristchurch
Christchurch

Cathedral Square
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

Waitemata Harbour
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

Customs Building
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

Sky Tower
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

Sky Tower
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

City for adrenaline junkies
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

Reflections
TaupoTaupo
Taupo

Local carving
CoromandelCoromandel
Coromandel

Hot Water Beach
TirauTirau
Tirau

Large corrugated dog
RotoruaRotorua
Rotorua

Zorbing
RotoruaRotorua
Rotorua

The Tudor Towers Building
NapierNapier
Napier

Example of the City's Art Deco buildings
TaupoTaupo
Taupo

Huka Falls
OhakuneOhakune
Ohakune

Gateway to the ski slopes
KawakawaKawakawa
Kawakawa

Toilets designed by Hundertwasser
Hanmer SpringsHanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs

Soak up the hot water
Auckland Auckland
Auckland

At night


21st June 2011

Enjoyed your blog.
Looks like you've been pulled in many different directions. We love New Zealand and can't wait to read more blogs.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb