Loving the North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » North Shore
June 19th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Waitomo cavesWaitomo cavesWaitomo caves

Black water rafting, all we need now is some water.

Waitomo


Waitomo is famous for its glow worms- larvae of fungus knats that live in the caves around here. We went on a black water rafting trip to see them, basically we rafted on inner tubes in caves with waterfalls and slides along the way. It was fantastic but as you can imagine, very cold! The glow worms are amazing to see, like stars in the night sky.

Rotorua



Another adventure city and a thermal area to boot! We had to try out zorbing as its the only place they seem to do it. They put hot water in the zorb too, we got drenched but it was a lot of fun- like being in a huge washing machine! I tried out the swoop too- jon refused as it was from 47m high(I dont know how he managed that bungee as this seems safer to me!). I was strapped in a hang gliding suit, hoisted 47m up and then I had to pull a cord to be hurtled 130kms/hr forwards , I loved it. Jons adrenaline fix came from the sprint car drive, I spent the whole time in the car screaming but we both enjoyed it!

In the
WaitomoWaitomoWaitomo

Black water rafting. Falling backwards from a 2 metre water fall into freezing cold water, we know how to have a good time.
afternoon we went to meet Beverley at the hotel. Its lovely to see someone we know after months of seeing only strangers. Wow a hotel!It was fabulous, we all enjoyed free cocktails , dinner in the pheasant plucker( not easy to say when you have had a few!)and then a late night thermal spa!!Its like heaven!

We tried to get some Bev photos but shes a little camera shy! The next day we spent the day in the thermal Kuirau park and then went to do some whitewater rafting on the Kaituna river while Bev was at the conference. It was brillant, I couldnt stop grinning the whole time. Although we were a little nervous going down a 7m waterfall- especially when it filled with water at the bottom!
In the evening we went to a maori cultural show and hangi (where they cook the food underground- with thermal volcanic heat)lots of meat involved which Jon loved. Bread and butter pudding for afters but Im not sure how maori that is! he he! There was lots of face pulling chest slapping and shouting involved but it was very interesting to see, Jon had a go at the war dancing
WaitomoWaitomoWaitomo

Black water rafting. See? Mich loved every second of it.
and Bev and I had a go at the poi dance. Sunday we spent in the thermal area of Waio tapu which was very impressive, its a hot steamy place with geysers and colourful pools. It bizarre seeing all these things as I havent seen anything like this before anywhere, Its like the volcanoe is ready to erupt any minute.

Auckland



We are currently in Browns Bay Auckland enjoying being in one place for a little while in Barbara and Toms beautiful apartment. The campervan has gone hurrah!We are going to have a couple of lazy days before springing back into action on Wednesday when we are going to Bev and Steves bach in the Bay of Islands!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Rotorua - zorbingRotorua - zorbing
Rotorua - zorbing

Rolling down a hill in a huge rubber ball filled with water, what better way to spend a friday afternoon?
Rotarura - White water rafting.Rotarura - White water rafting.
Rotarura - White water rafting.

At the top of a 7m waterfall!!
Rotorua - White water rafting. Rotorua - White water rafting.
Rotorua - White water rafting.

At the bottom! Our guide's advice for falling out of the boat was simple. Swim back to it. Easier said than done.
RotoruaRotorua
Rotorua

Anybody got a bucket?
RotoruaRotorua
Rotorua

Just like a park at home, except there's steam rising from the ground, and bubbling mud everywhere!
Mauri concert and hangiMauri concert and hangi
Mauri concert and hangi

Jon swore he was pulling his tongue out too!
RotoruaRotorua
Rotorua

Traditional Mauri dancing with a ' poi poi'
RotoruaRotorua
Rotorua

Doing a 'haka'
RotoruaRotorua
Rotorua

Michelle and Beverly at Lady knox geyser
Rotorua - waiotapu thermal parkRotorua - waiotapu thermal park
Rotorua - waiotapu thermal park

champagne pool. lots of bubbles!
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

Sky tower


19th June 2007

I like the video - are you shrieking or laughing?! Jon you big wuss, how can you dangle from a bit of elastic but not fly in a sleeping bag? Having said that, I don't think I'd do it!!!! Nice Haka by the way :)
25th June 2007

Happy Birthday
Posting this on J's birthday to send lots of love. Possibly your best ever birthday? Your photos are fabulous. Love to both xxx

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb