Stormy


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Bucklands Beach
January 24th 2011
Published: January 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have been having a very hot sunny summer until three days ago. Two cyclones, one from Queensland and the other from Vanuatu decided to visit our shores.
Luckily for us once a cyclone hits the Tasman Sea it is usually is downgraded to a storm, so the intensity is not as great.
This was a rather large storm and it coincided with a very large King tide of 4.1m. There has been a lot of flooding as well as huge winds and a lot of rain. Auckland had 150mm in a 24 hour period.
The winds started from the SE turned to the NE and now we have a screaming SW.
The seawater at Eastern Beach was over the road, all the grass has disappeared and the seats at the beach are now sitting in the sand.
At Bucklands Beach the seawater surged through the residents houses.
At the Bucklands Beach Marina the piles in the floating Attenuator were flush with the attenuator at the peak of the high king tide. If the tide had been a fraction higher the Attenuator could have floated away exposing all the boats in the Marina.
I guess we are now witnessing Global warming at its best!!!
We have been told that we could have another four storms like this before Autumn. This is a La Nina summer.
All lots of fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Bucklands Beach attenuatorBucklands Beach attenuator
Bucklands Beach attenuator

Notice how the pile is flush with the attenuator.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb