Routeburn Track: Day 1


Advertisement
Published: January 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Time to leave Queenstown and start my first Great Walk - The Routeburn Track. First, it was a bus ride, about one hour north past the town of Glenorchy. For Lord of the Rings buffs, this area was used for three scenes in the movie: Lothlorien, Isengard, and the Battle of Amon Hen.

On the first day I'm slated to hike 8.8km (estimated time of four hours) to Routeburn Falls Hut (elevation approximately 1000 metres). Wonderful weather - not a hint of rain. The trail followed the river up into the mountains of Mount Aspiring National Park. The water was a fantastic turquoise. Every so often the trail swung through a valley before rising again. Words can't describe it, and the photos don't do it justice. The only down-side to this section of the hike is the swing (suspension) bridges. I hate swing bridges. I think there were five of them today.

I met a number of wonderful people today - two families from Australia (we kept passing each other on the trail and they'd call out "Canada"), another couple from Australia, and one from New Zealand.

Supper, a quick talk from the hut warden, and time for sleep. I will sleep very well tonight.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

First SwingbridgeFirst Swingbridge
First Swingbridge

I hate swingbridges.


3rd January 2011

omg did you see any hobbits!!??
5th January 2011

No hobbits. Too far away from the Shire.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb