Fiji and New Caledonia


Advertisement
New Caledonia's flag
Oceania » New Caledonia » South Province » Noumea
January 31st 2009
Published: January 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Fiji
Another day at sea but fortunately the seas had calmed down a bit. Our next stop was Savusavu Fiji. As the ship approaches you pass a number of smaller islands and enter a lager bay. We took a cab ride around part of the island with one stop being where there was boiling water bubbling up from the ground. A woman was there cooking chicken in a pot, then back to town and a brief stop in an open restaurant/bar to listen to a very good singer.

Our next stop was Suva, which is the capital of Fiji, and a chance to wander around the city, which was interesting. One see’s all kinds of people ranging from the typical tourist to women fully covered in black bukas with only the eyes showing. After a couple of hours we headed back to the ship from which Mare and I tried our skill at kayaking (we did okey).

New Caledonia
After another 2 days at sea we arrived at Noumea, New Caledonia. The first thing that strikes one is how westernized and prosperous the city is. New Caledonia is the world’s third largest producer of nickel. It also has beautiful beaches and lots to offer tourists, however it is also far from continents other than Australia where most tourists originate, also it is French so it is naturally more expensive than other islands. We took a boat from Noumea out to a small island with a light house. Once out there the boat went beyond the reef and they threw some chunks of meat into the water and poured in some blood. In less than a minute the sharks appeared. Some pieces were attached to two ropes and when pulled towards the boat were quickly attacked. One rope was attached to a pulley and when hosted up the sharp was not going to let go. Once we moved back into the reef area the crew threw some bread into the sea, well in not time the sea was filled with a congregation of different fish all fighting to get the bread. On the island we found a spot to relax under a large tree, snorkled and climbed the light house all 251 steps. A great lunch was provided followed by a show. Well after they had got up a couple of passengers to perform some dances including yours-truly, I felt this tap on my shoulder and a young female dancer directing me back to the stage. I should have guessed something when I was given a chair to sit in and the other 3 men did their dance routine with the dancers. Now it was my turn; along came the grass skirt, and she slipped my top off so smoothly and quickly, next thing I new I had boobs made of coconut shells. Well I must have put on a good show cause all the men congratulated me, I think they were just grateful that they had not been picked.



Advertisement



2nd February 2009

Hello !
Morgan...u in a grass skirt ? no surprise !!! :)
24th March 2009

Grass Skirt
Yes Craig I did try on a grass skirt in one performance but didn't put the picture on the web -- to frightening

Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 81; dbt: 0.0959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb