A Toast to Pohnpei


Advertisement
Oceania » Micronesia » Pohnpei
October 11th 2012
Published: October 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A toast to where, what, who??? To Pohnpei, a small island located about 7 degrees north of the equator on the far east side of the Micronesian Islands in the southern Pacific ocean. Tropical, remote, serene. But why on earth would anyone, other than the native Pohnpeians, spend the bucks and the time required to get to this out of the way place that doesn’t even have a white sandy beach to boast... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Dining at the VillageDining at the Village
Dining at the Village

Unless the rain is blowing in, there is not a bad table on the dining deck. And the coconut cream, chocolate, banana pie isn't too bad either!
Sokehs rock at sunsetSokehs rock at sunset
Sokehs rock at sunset

As viewed from the Village dining area
Child's playChild's play
Child's play

A common sight in Pohnpei. Laughing groups of people swimming, jumping, and just hanging out at the waters edge.
Rainforest canopyRainforest canopy
Rainforest canopy

I sat on a rock in the river, looked up, and saw this art of nature. The beauty of the pattern and variety of leaves appeals aesthetically as well as physically for the shade it provides.
In search of waterfallsIn search of waterfalls
In search of waterfalls

2 guides, us, and not another soul around for our strenuous all day, approximately 8 mile, hike. The guide in this photo is somewhat of a legend here. 51 years old and primarily earning his living by growing and tending Sakau plants in areas which are too tough for any poachers to enter. We were told that once he broke his kneecap and ankle while out alone. Knowing his wife wouldn't be expecting him home for 3 days AND that he would soon run out of cigarettes, he decided to pull and claw his way home using only his hands over more than 8 miles of this volcanic rainforest clime that even able bodied people have difficulty traversing! Check out those abs! No gym, and a local diet of fish, breadfruit, bananas, etc...
Waterfall #2Waterfall #2
Waterfall #2

Waterfall #1 flowed over a deep cave full of bats. Our guide scared them all out of the cave and they swarmed out blackening the sky around the waterfall. Why don't I have a photo? Because at this point, it was so humid that my camera quit! After hauling it all this way we thought we wouldn't be able to get any photos. Eventually we were able to sporadically get it to work resulting in the waterfall photos upcoming in the photo list.
Tough with a double T!Tough with a double T!
Tough with a double T!

Our local guide, Welten, and his machete, were instrumental in getting to and from the waterfalls. Favorite memories: Descending a steep, slippery slope with him directly below me gripping my hand in protection while waving the veeeery long machete in the air with his other hand as he too attempted balance. And the gentle way he collected fragrant wildflowers he found along our journey and offered them to me. Not sure how much english he could speak or understand, but as we walked, he whistled the hymn "holy, holy, holy". Now that language we both understood and I truly appreciated as I precariously chose every step wearing slippery tennis shoes that literally lost their sole in the middle of our journey.
Waterfall #3Waterfall #3
Waterfall #3

Lunch and a swim. Check out the size of the plants!
Waterfall #4Waterfall #4
Waterfall #4

About an hour through the river, walking on slippery rocks, leads to the next set of waterfalls, #4-6. As we approached this waterfall, Matt and Ward took turns skipping stones down the river.
"This is where the real fun begins!""This is where the real fun begins!"
"This is where the real fun begins!"

Nearly 3 hours into our trek, we arrive at this deep, narrow water passage. Ditching our sticks, shoes, and camera, we anxiously swim through to find waterfall #6 pouring into a hidden deep valley surrounded by high vegetation covered steep sides.
"Love"ly spot"Love"ly spot
"Love"ly spot

Waterfall #6. What a surprise awaits for those who persevere on the walk and make the final swim into the hidden cove where the river "pours out its heart" for you.
Flipping outFlipping out
Flipping out

All you need to do is fly somehow to Pohnpei, motor around the island for about an hour, find an expert guide to lead you about 4 hours through the rainforest, go for a short swim, and you too could make it to this idyllic spot. Do you see the little brown body of our guide flipping through the air?



22nd October 2012

Would like to publish in Pohnpei
Very interesting blog on Pohnpei. I am the editor of FSM's only newspaper and I'd like to talk to you about the possibility of re-publishing your content. It is well written and was interested to read about the viewpoint of an open-minded tourist! Kalahngan en kupurohmwi!
24th October 2012

Thanks so much for the big compliment! Of course, you are more than welcome to publish this. I love to travel and write my impressions after in a blog form. It is the highest compliment I could receive to have someone local to the area feel that it is well written and representative. Let me know if you have further questions. Sheri
24th October 2012

Thanks so much for the big compliment! Of course, you are more than welcome to publish this. I love to travel and write my impressions after in a blog form. It is the highest compliment I could receive to have someone local to the area feel that it is well written and representative. Let me know if you have further questions. Sheri
24th October 2012

Thank you, Sheri!
Thank you for the permission. I've been here for 12 years and your blog was refreshing. I'm sure Mr. Gootnick of the GAO will get a kick out of your husband's theory as well!
25th October 2012

Aha, so you know whom he was referring to! If possible, can you provide a link or copy of whatever is published in your paper. It would be such an honor to know it was read and hopefully enjoyed by your readers. Thanks!
1st November 2012

Thanks for the post and pictures!
This is an excellent article on Pohnpei, especially the pictures! I lived on Pohnpei for two years and it is great to read about a tourist's impressions of the island. I think you captured the vibe and spirit of Pohnpei very well. The pictures are amazing as well. They bring back a lot of memories! Thanks
3rd November 2012

Lucky you!
I'm sure you must miss Pohnpei. Thanks for your nice comments. I loved it and am so glad to have captured it in a way that residents see as accurate. Hope we can both be lucky enough to return some day!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb