Bora Bora - What a Beautiful Sight!


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 20 - February 3, 2007, Saturday, Bora Bora, French Polynesia

Time: 7:30 am (11:30 CST)
Latitude: 16 degrees 30.46 minutes S
Longitude: 151 degrees 45.41 minutes W
Speed: At Anchor
Seas: 1.5 - 4 feet, slight
Winds: Moderate breeze
Miles traveled from FLL: 7256 nautical miles
Weather: Partly Cloudy/Rainy, 81 degrees


Oh, what a beautiful sight Bora Bora was to wake up to this morning! The crystal clears waters and the majestic mountains make Bora Bora and unforgettable island. Bora Bora is an island in the Leeward group of the Society Islands of French Polynesia. It was settled by the Tongan people in the 4th century. The island was sighted by earlier explorers but James Cook led the first group of Europeans to visit the island in 1777. Its first name in the Tahitian language, Pora Pora, means “First Born.” The island was formed over 7 million years ago from an active volcano. The remnants of this extinct volcano rise to two peaks, Mount Pahia and the highest point, Mount Otemanu at 2,385 feet. Today the island is mainly dependent on tourism. The coral reef that surrounds the island makes a spectacular lagoon filled with lots of sea life. We took a boat that toured the lagoon and then stopped in the lagoon for us to swim with the sting rays in waist deep water. We then continued on to a motu (a small coral island) to swim and enjoy the beautiful waters. It was paradise…….


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



7th February 2007

Bora Bora
The waters are almost as nice as Destin, RIGHT? It's very pretty there though with its quiet beaches with palm trees draped over them.

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb