Sailing from here to there


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Tahiti » Papeete
December 11th 2007
Published: March 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The sun shines brightly on our balcony this morning, now this is the French Polynesian weather that we know and love. Alan and I eat breakfast while catching a last glimpse of Moorea. A brown ribbon of river water colors the lagoon, the only evidence of yesterday’s heavy rains.

Today, Mariner sails from Moorea to Papeete, a short two-hour ride. We’ve been invited to a special party for frequent Regent customers. So, as the ship sails from here to there, Alan and I sit near the rail on the back deck of Horizon Lounge. The caviar and champagne flow while we watch Moorea slowly fade away.

Our arrival in Papeete is hot and steamy. Since we’ve toured here before, a day lounging on the balcony in the warm sun sounds perfect to us. Besides, we have to rest up for tonight’s party.

Ngaire, our travel agent, is hosting a dinner on the Mariner that includes clients sailing on our ship along with those who will board the Paul Gaugin tomorrow. This is the first time two of her groups have literally “passed in the night.”

We meet in Stars Nightclub before a Tahitian dinner in Latitudes, one of Mariner’s alternative restaurants. Internet friends greet each other in person, for the first time, matching real names and faces with online monikers. Some of us have sailed together before and there are hugs all around.

After a family style dinner that includes crab salad with barbecued lobster, creamy Tahitian squash bisque, chicken and tiger prawn salad plus a main course platter of beef, pork, chicken and shrimp dishes, we spend the evening introducing newbies to the ship’s lounges.

Later, Alan and I sit on the balcony while we wait for our late night departure. Ngaire and Ken are returning to the U.S. after spending tonight on the Paul Gaugin, which is now berthed across from us. We spot them standing near the rail, taking a last look at Mariner, and wave one more goodbye to our good friends.

With a blast of the ship’s horn echoing into the night, Mariner slowly slips away from Papeete and French Polynesia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb