Moorea


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Moorea
January 26th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Moorea, Society Islands

January 22nd brings us to Moorea, the most beautiful island thus far. A local priest changed the name from Pao Pao to Moorea after a yellow lizard appeared in a dream he had. This is where South Pacific was filmed, and it is indeed breathtakingly beautiful here. The 1984 version of The Bounty with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins was filmed here, not Tahiti as I may have said before.
We took a tour around the whole island and up to Belvedere Lookout for a stunning view. I can’t wait to get to a place where I can add more than two pictures! We stopped at some ruins where ancient sacrificial offerings were practiced. The pineapple plantation we visited gave us samples of various pineapple liquors, flavored with combinations of mango, papaya, and coconut and varying degrees of potencies. Just what we needed in the heat of the day! We also saw several hotels featuring small over-the -water bungalows. Cost range: $900 to 1500 per night. The big jewelry attraction is the black pearl. Prices are very steep, so I don’t know if there are any bargains to be had or not. I guess it all depends on what one considers a bargain. We didn’t look. We sail to Bora Bora tonight.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb