Saturday April 22nd


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
April 22nd 2006
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Saturday April 22nd

Bula from Fiji!

So today we’re off to see the blowhole! Well, after we get to the blowhole, we’re thinking we drove all this way to see that? It’s neat, but not worth the almost 1.5 hr drive through some really twisty and gravel roads. Jason’s back is now meat, and we’re probably going to visit the doctor today, just to make sure things are ok. The blowhole is a natural phenomenon when an ocean swell comes in it goes through a series of rocks, and then shoots up a lot of spray. The spray probably goes 50 feet in the air. I guess once you’ve seen one blowhole you’ve seen em all… lol

After that we’re off to the farm where we’re going horseback riding. Wes gets a 23 year old horse, and Jason gets a horse named playboy. It’s a long ride, and quite frankly while I’m writing this my butt huts lol. We all got saddled up, and we’re off, and as usual our horses see us, and figure it’s time to eat. So we got a bunch of hungry horses and we’re going on their schedule. We ride for over an hour, pretty much to the top of the island, and we’re at the old volcano crater, which last erupted 250 years ago. It’s nice in the crater now, all green, and pretty much no sign of any activity. The ride up here at the end was very steep, and I’m a little nervous of our trip back down, as I have memories of horse back riding in Hawaii last year, in particular going down a super steep part scaring the crap outta me. We kept asking the guide how long till we get back down, and every answer was a different one, one even told us history of his family and the ownership of the land. Anyhow we do make it down, and now Paullina’s allergies are really acting up. If you’ve ever seen the movie “pure luck” with Martin Short it’s a horse instead of a bee, and Paulina is all puffed up, with us a million miles from nowhere. If we don’t get some benadryl into her soon it’s gonna be the blind leading the blind lol. Our ride is now over, some 3 hours after it started..

We decided to skip the waterslide for now, much to Kirk’s disappointment, as Paullina’s eyes are really bad, and Jason’s back is now covered in blister juice… not very pretty. We’re off to the hospital for Jason, and then to get some Benadryl for Paulina. Surprisingly the hospital here is very modern, not like what’d you expect for a second world country. They have air conditioning, and pretty much all the amenities of a hospital back home. I wouldn’t want to have anything serious happen to you here, but for something like this it’s not bad at all. The one surprise is that health care here is totally free, for locals and foreigners alike. Last year an ear infection in Hawaii cost us 500 USD, and here treating the burns for Jason was free. They gave him some lotion, and antibiotics to prevent infection. All free, and he was in and out in 10 minutes. Back home it could have been anywhere from 1 hour to 6 hours, and not free. We get back into the Watalki’s cab, and head back home to rest our butt’s as they’re plenty sore!

For dinner tonight Maureen has something special planned. We’re eating outside, with her husband’s band playing some local music for us. What a treat! It really was like a restaurant coming to your house. It was so cool! For starters we got some really good garlic bread. Then came an amazing soup, which I was surprised to find out it was pumpkin soup. Then came the band, which was great! They played local music as well as some john Denver songs. Our main course was baked chicken with mash potatoes and salad…very nice indeed! She even made us a dessert, banana cake with ice cream! This really is the life! I will remember this forever. After dinner we sat and chatted with Maureen about tomorrow, as we’re going to church on Qamea Island to see how it’s done there. It supposed to be pretty special.

More tomorrow!

Lee




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

on the moveon the move
on the move

we rode the horses 2 hours to the middle of the island...up the mountain
wes has a duckwes has a duck
wes has a duck

the duck is 4 weeks old
paulina has the duckpaulina has the duck
paulina has the duck

ohh my eyes...
kirk has the duckkirk has the duck
kirk has the duck

ohh my eyes...


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb