Bula!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
March 17th 2006
Published: March 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

1st morning1st morning1st morning

A view from where we stayed in Nadi
In September, my friend Danielle and I took a short trip to Fiji. We stayed the first night in Nadi before hopping a boat to Mana Island. Mana is in the Mamanucas just west of Viti Levu. The film “Castaway” was shot on one of the other islands in that group. While we were there we managed to meet three hilarious Scottish girls, almost get run over by a plane at the local airport, and go spearfishing with a guy who had a furry nose.
After returning to Viti Levu, we crammed into a van with about 10 other people and headed towards the Coral Coast. The driver played a tape that consisted of pop hits set to Pasifika beats- think Will Smith with a tropical flair! We managed to work in some scuba diving and a day trip to Suva, before returning to Nadi for the flight home.
I can't say that Fiji has the prettiest beaches I've ever seen, though they are quite picturesque. However, the people and the atmosphere would bring me back.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mana IslandMana Island
Mana Island

Where we spent the first few days
Notice the hatNotice the hat
Notice the hat

Danielle and I enjoying the warm waters on Mana Island
A man and a volleyball..A man and a volleyball..
A man and a volleyball..

The island in the middle is where Tom Hanks shot "Castaway".
"Culture""Culture"
"Culture"

Some of the staff showing us traditional Fijian dances and costume
LunchLunch
Lunch

All of the fish caught on our spearfishing trip
YumYum
Yum

D's lunch on our spearfishing trip.. I was given a parrot fish, complete with a beak!
Pier on ManaPier on Mana
Pier on Mana

We ended up jumping off that pier one night.. twice!


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb