Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
February 22nd 2008
Published: March 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

21st Feb:
Met a girl called Sophie who was staying in the same hostel as me. Waited in the fantastic heat (at 5am) for our bus to Nadi Bay 'hotel'.

When we got to the 'hotel' the Arsenal AC Milan game was on. So we watched that for a bit as we were too early to check in. Once we'd checked in we got a taxi down to the beach. Stayed there for most of the morning. Sunbathed and swam i the sea which was like having a warm bath! There were incredible mountains down the beach to the right and nothing but palm trees to the left. Was everything I'd hoped for. Later on we went into Nadi town to get some food and water. Bit of a crazy market thing going on.

Had dinner with a few guys from my dorm and then passed out at about 9pm.

22nd Feb:
Got the coach to the harbour with loads of people who were booked to do a similar island hopping tour as me. After we had given our bags in we had a bit of time to get moeny out and stuff. I went to get some suncream with a couple of other guys. The man in the shop tried to sell me factor 4!!!! What a joke! I then went to get cash but there was only one cash machine and everybody needed to get lots of money as you could not get any on the islands. The machine ran out of money just as I got to the front. Nightmare. The boat people were calling the remaining few people over as it was due to leave. It took ages for them to refill the machine but eventually they did and I ran to the boat just in time. Apparently it had already pulled away but had been called back for us. A pretty close call as it was the only boat which goes as far as I needed and my bag was onboard! Apparently you can only do things on 'Fiji time' when it suits them to be late.

After five hours ont he boat, going past amazing islands in beautiful weather we arrived at the final stop. Coral View resort. We got on the little boat with our bags and the driver pointed at the island covered by dark clouds with heavy rain easily visible over it. He said "thats where we are going . . . you're going to get a bit wet!" then laughed. He wasn't wrong. We got soaked on the way in. We did get a lovely warm welcome from the staff though. Greeted by big shouts of "Bula!" (Hello) we were shown into the 'dining' area. They gave us some great Fijian lunch and then showed us to our rooms. I got an upgrade as my bed was taken in the main dorm. I got put in a lovely little hut with 3 other girls where we had our own shower and toilet. Brilliant.

Sat in a hammock and made friends with Sarah and Alex who were on a similar tour as me. Watched a beautiful pink sun set with them and then went for dinner. Had a few drinks and played some cards with some people including a guy called Josh who was pretty cool.

A really good day despite the rushing and rain!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb