Manta Ray Island


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
October 28th 2007
Published: November 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Manta Ray Island
Jase was concentrating a bit on the Yasawa Flyer but fortunately it was only a 30 minute ride to Manta Ray, so no breakfast revisited! We got the usual welcome song, although it was slightly less enthusiastic than Octopus. The whole operation was a complete contrast to Octopus, but our Beachfront Bure had a stunning view of the ocean, so you could lie on the bed and stare at the sea (which Jase appreciated with a hangover). It was a bit weird having compost toilets, especially in an ensuite, and Jase was a bit freaked out by the cooling breeze that wafted up around your bum! Fortunately they didn´t wiff, but we noticed there were lots of flies around the beach down by the dorm toilets, so we suspected the loos there. Rach went snorkelling in the afternoon in front of the bure and found lots of different fishies and corals to explore. She got excited for two minutes when she thought she found a sea snake, but it was a cunningly disguised bit of old rope. There were lots of black and white clownfish (Nemos) but Rach´s favourite was the cutest pufferfish she found on her way back in. He had massice sad eyes and pootled about the shallows sooooo slowwwly. Rach wasn´t tempted to torment him to get him to puff up, even for a photo, that would be too cruel.

After an early night, we hung around the next day for the afternoon boat to return us to Nadi. There was a huge downpour at lunchtime and nowhere really to shelter, so we dripped under the trees. Before we left the island, the staff insisted we play a few silly games, including a tug of war when they predictably let go. Even though we anticipated it, Rach still fell over and got covered in sand with bruised arms.

The journey back to Denaru Marina was fun, as a massive storm hit the boat, and it was all over the place. Good job Jase wasn´t hungover today. We managed to play Scrabble sucking lollies (our best weapon against sea sickness). At the marina, we got soaked dashing to the taxi rank, but Jase hailed one super quick and we were back at the lovely Mocambo Hotel in no time.

Back in Nadi
The next day we had free in Nadi as we weren´t flying until 11pm to LA. We ventured into Nadi city centre (in a furry seated taxi) to buy some souvenirs and then back at the hotel we played a game of tennis, which Jase naturally won, but Rach´s game definitely improved and we had lots of long ralleys and much running about in the humid heat (Jase reckons its the first time he´s seen Rach sweat for a long time). In the evening, furry taximan took us to the airport. Our flight had been brought forward an hour (good job we confirmed) but then it was delayed an hour, so we still left at 11am and three flights had been merged so it was busy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



18th November 2007

Wafty bum breeze
I think I would risk the wafty bum breezes for that view out the door of your room, Love-ly! I wonder if the puffer fish was put out that you didn't try and 'puff' it, which is why he looks so saad. (If you look really hard I think he's crying.)

Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb