The Fijian Experience


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
November 22nd 2006
Published: November 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Nadi SunsetNadi SunsetNadi Sunset

Beautiful Sunset on our first night in Fiji
Our ten days in paradise are over! We've had enough of sandy beaches, palm trees, relaxing in hammocks... and made our way over to New Zealand.
But first let us tell you about our Fijian experience:

After 22 hours on a plane and 3 hours in LA we eventually arrived in Nadi, Fiji at 5:15am on Monday 13th November having lost a day crossing the international date line.

Spent a couple of nights in Nadi, before heading out to the Yasawa Islands off the west of the main island. These are the 'real' Fiji, the real backpacking experience. Beautiful but very basic, not for those who like their luxuries!

Took the bright yellow Yasawa flyer for 4 hours to Nanuya Lailai at the top of the island chain. Greeted by a bbq on the beach and a long hike across the island.
Locals are v friendly - especially the camp Britney Spears cross-dressing one! Been made to try their traditional tipple called kava - a disgusting muddy water like substance made from the root of a pepper. Don't know why anyone would want to willingly drink any of that - don't do it! Tho perhaps just the one so you don't offend the village chief.

Took a snorkelling trip to the underwater Saiwaila caves, in Joes Water Taxi which was a experience in itself! Talk about a white knuckle ride. Comedy moment when Kev at the back needed his mask and snorkel just to get thru the ride from the amount of water we took on board.

Onwards to the Wana Taki cruise. 'Cruise' sounds quite posh but not what you think! Bit of a hole, no working toilets, but a good atmosphere. Rough seas and Lucy don't mix, most of her time was spent on the floor due to absolutely no balance! Had fun leaping overboard and snorkelling.

Visited Kuata and our last stop was a tiny tiny dot of a island called South Sea Island. Last day spent sailing the seas on the yacht 'Seaspray' visited the island where Castaway was filmed, sadly didn't see any sign of Wilson. Champagne reception on board and loads of free booze!

Overall lots of relaxing, hammocks, snorkelling and kayaking, met lots of lovely ppl - big hi to everyone! Great fun but looking forward to a change of scenery in New Zealand. ...Watch this space....



Advertisement



22nd November 2006

king of the world
good to see you having all this fun. Me and chris are impressed that there was a mention of the ones your missing :)
22nd November 2006

Cool...
All sounds awesome. Got any more pictures? Oh, and my postcard had better be on the way! Gareth.
15th December 2006

im not jealous, im sat at uni watching the rain pour down the window! but that picture put a big smile on my face! more of the same plaese!! take care.x

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb