Waylailai - Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands » Yasawa Island
August 25th 2010
Published: November 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

When we arrived on Waylailai island we thought it was a little quiet and it turned out their were only 5 guests checked in that night. We spent most of the afternoon soaking up the sun and relaxing in the many hammocks they had around the lodge. We had three days and this would be the most relaxing of our time in Fiji.

We woke early due to the hot temperatures and lack of air con and spent the entire day reading and sunbathing. It was spot on. We also met a volunteer from a local village, Ema, she was from Ireland and had been working in NZ before coming to Fiji for a holiday and ended up stopping on gthe island to teach kindergarden. She loved it but i do not think i could do the same as the culture in Fiji is very different and village life is very intense. The staff here also performed songs ect and did a reanactment of the first settlers in Fiji and a small fashion show. That night we met a man named Bryan and he owned a fab house on the island. After chatting for a while he invited us over to have a look around. It was amazing and he built it all himself. He was a writer and would come to Fiji for inspiration. He even told us he had worked with David Bowie back in the day. We dnt no who he actually was but we did get the impression he was quite successful. The next day we went diving. On our first dive we went out to swim with the local reef sharks and saw an eel. The dive instructor speared a fish and fed it to the sharks. It was not nice watching them rip the fish apart but i could not stop them, i guess thats life. The next dive took us to an underwater cave. Luckily there was light in the cave because i get a little nervous in enclosed spaces. After getting back from diving we noticed Craigs glasses had gone missing from the dive shop so we set out in search of them. We could only search for a short time before we went out hand line fishing for the second time. And once again we both caught zip. We were not happy.

After getting back that night the whole resort new about Craigs glasses yet they were still not found so we went out with a torch in search of them but had no luck. Craig had only bought them 2 weeks earlier in the duty free on our way to Fiji. On our last day on the island we were sunbathing on the beach when Craig called me out of the Sea. He had noticed a boy of 12/13 wearing a pair of sunglasses on his head and immediatly said to me that they were his. I went over to the master of the dive shop and told him about Craigs going missing the day before and he said he would sort it. It turns out the young lad had took the glasses from the dive shop.The dive master just walked over to the boy and took them off his head. The boy had been in the dive shop refilling the air tanks whilst we were diving and decided he wanted them and took them. I think Craig learnt a lesson not to leave things lying about that he didnt want to loose. He was so happy he got them back he didnt let them out of his sight. We decided to give hand line fishing one last go and we headed off in our little boat with the sun beating down on us. Again we did not have much luck, however, i did catch a fish, my very first one and i was very happy. It was nothing to write home about but i sooo proud.

That afternoon we caught the yasawa flyer back to the marina and than a coach back to Nadi Bay Resort. After watching the Newcastle match on TV we jumped into bed for a short nights sleep as we had an early flight to catch at stupid oclock in the morning. We really enjoyed Fiji and would recommend it to anyone. It is not as cheap as Asia but alot more remote and relaxing.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb